Welcome to Cowley ...
While we don't have a date for the establishment of Cowley, you might get a feel for its founding by knowing that they incorporated in 1906.
The village of Cowley is 3,810 feet [1,161 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Cowley is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Cowley lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you leave Cowley and travel west, you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT).
Area codes for Cowley: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Cowley: T0K<3>
Communities Also Named Cowley ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 7 communities that are also named Cowley - they are located in Kansas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, Wyoming and Yukon.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Cowley.
Communities near Cowley ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Cowley.
- Pincher Creek (7 miles [11.3 km] to the southeast)
- Blairmore (16 miles [25.7 km] to the west)
- Hillcrest Mines (13 miles [20.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillcrest Mines
- Hillcrest Mines lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the west of Cowley
- Hillcrest Mines has also been known as:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillcrest Mines
- Lundbreck (4 miles [6.4 km] to the west)
- Frank (15 miles [24.1 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frank
- Frank lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the west of Cowley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Frank came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frank
- Beaver Mines (10 miles [16.1 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Mines
- Beaver Mines lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Cowley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaver Mines came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaver Mines
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Beaver Mines<5>
- Pincher Station (6 miles [9.7 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pincher Station
- Pincher Station lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Cowley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pincher Station
- Bever Mines (9 miles [14.5 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bever Mines
- Bever Mines lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southwest of Cowley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bever Mines
- Burmis (10 miles [16.1 km] to the west) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burmis
- Burmis was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the west of Cowley
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Burmis. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Bellevue (13 miles [20.9 km] to the west)
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Cowley ...
Looking for more information about Cowley? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Cowley, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Cowley.
Adding Cowley to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Cowley was
We also found Cowley on a map titled Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Cowley on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Cowley
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cowley. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Cowley - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Cowley). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Cowley or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cowley) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cowley. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CowleyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cowley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.5667, Longitude: -114.0667 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|