A visit to the Old Greenriver Cemetery ...
Since our focus is on geography, we don't have burial or interment information. Nor do we have any contact information for the Old Greenriver Cemetery. For information of that nature, we suggest the Find-A-Grave<1> website: The Old Greenriver Cemetery (FG ID #109247)
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere.
We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site.
Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Old Greenriver Cemetery ...
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Old Greenriver Cemetery
The Old Greenriver Cemetery is located in Emery County<2>.
The county seat for Emery County is located in Castle Dale. Castle Dale lies 47 miles [75.6 km]<3> to the west northwest of the Old Greenriver Cemetery .
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Old Greenriver Cemetery
Lat: 38.9976° (38° 59' 51")
Lon: -110.1704° (-110° 10' 13")
Establishment of the Old Greenriver Cemetery ...
The Old Greenriver Cemetery was established in 1880.
Name Variations for Old Greenriver Cemetery ...
When doing your research, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations.
Old Greenriver Cemetery has also been known as:
- Greenriver Cemetery
- Green River Cemetery
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Old Greenriver Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Utah:
- Pages specific to Emery County:
- Genealogy information for nearby counties:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Although we don't have a link to the Old Greenriver Cemetery
itself, you might be curious about the African Methodist Episcopal Church. See their website at:
- The African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Disaster Stories from Utah
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 10 communities are within 30 miles [48.3 km]<3> of the Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brendel
- Brendel lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brendel
- Crescent Junction
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crescent Junction
- Crescent Junction lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crescent Junction
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elgin
- Elgin lies less than 2 miles<3> to the southeast of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elgin
- Grassy ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy
- Grassy was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<3> to the northwest of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Grassy. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Green River
- Sego ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sego
- Sego was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<3> to the east of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sego have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Sego:
- Sphinx ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sphinx
- Sphinx was located 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the west of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Sphinx. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Thompson Springs
- Valley City ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley City
- Valley City was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the southeast of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Valley City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Woodside ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodside
- Woodside was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the northwest of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
Nearby communities with newspapers ...
The following communities are those where newspapers have been published and are located in the vicinity of the Old Greenriver Cemetery. The following communities are located in Emery County.
More information can be found on our list of Local Newspapers for The Old Greenriver Cemetery.
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 4 cemeteries that are within 20 miles [32.2 km] of the Old Greenriver Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
Unless otherwise noted, the following cemeteries are located in Emery County.
- Elgin Cemetery [Grand County]
- Sego Cemetery [Grand County]
- Thompson Springs Cemetery [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Thompson Springs Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Thompson Springs Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Thompson Springs Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the east of Old Greenriver Cemetery.
- Thompson Springs Cemetery has also been known as:
- Thompson Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thompson Springs Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #77466<1>
- Woodside Cemetery [Emery County]
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions ...
Our approach is to add the name of a cemetery whenever we see it mentioned - usually from newspapers, old books and maps. Typically we have little information to start with, but we continue to add detail as we find it.
We've created the following list to keep track of the sources that we found useful for the Old Greenriver Cemetery:
- Referenced GNIS Record ...
- GNIS ID #2426429 (Green River Cemetery)
- Note: GNIS record #2426429 has been archived by the USGS. It is no longer maintained by the USGS, nor can it be retrieved from their website.
- Class: cemetery Map Name: Green River
- County: Emery Elev: 1249
- Location given for GNIS #2426429 (Green River Cemetery)
- Lat: 38.99755 Lon: -110.17035
- Lat: 38.99755 Lon: -110.17035
- Open a Google Map centered on the above location.
- Referenced Find-A-Grave Entry: #109247
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Emery County: www.co.emery.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Emery, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Old Greenriver Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.9976, Longitude: -110.1704 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|