Welcome to Sphinx ...
So far, we have found very little information about Sphinx. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Sphinx to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Sphinx, please Contact Us.
Sphinx would have been located within present day Emery County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Sphinx, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Time Zone: The area where Sphinx was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Sphinx once stood is in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Sphinx ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Sphinx - it's located in Montana.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Sphinx.
Communities near Sphinx ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Sphinx.
- Green River [Emery County]
- Elgin [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elgin
- Elgin [Grand County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the east of Sphinx
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elgin
- Woodside [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodside
- Woodside [Emery County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the north of Sphinx
- Former name for Woodside:
- Lower Crossing
- Grassy [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy
- Grassy [Emery County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the north of Sphinx
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Grassy. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Brendel [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brendel
- Brendel [Grand County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the east of Sphinx
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brendel
- Crescent Junction [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crescent Junction
- Crescent Junction [Grand County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the east of Sphinx
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crescent Junction
- Valley City [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley City
- Valley City [Grand County] was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the east of Sphinx
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Valley City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Cedar [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar
- Cedar [Emery County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<4> to the north of Sphinx
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cedar have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Sego [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sego
- Sego [Grand County] was located 30 miles [48.3 km]<4> to the east of Sphinx
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sego have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Sego:
- Thompson Springs [Grand County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Sphinx. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Sphinx.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Sphinx. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Sphinx.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Sphinx. See our Newspapers Page for Sphinx.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Utah
About Emery County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Emery County: www.co.emery.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Sphinx, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Emery, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Sphinx) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Sphinx. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Sphinx
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sphinx. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.0086, Longitude: -110.2788
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|