Welcome to Sego ...
So far, we have found very little information about Sego. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Sego to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Sego, please Contact Us.
Sego would have been located within present day Grand County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Sego, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Sego was established in 1910.
The community of Sego was previously named Neslin. Going back to its beginning, Sego was originally named Ballard. For more information about the names of Sego, see The Names of Sego on our Genealogy Page.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Sego is 5,710 feet [1,740 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Sego is about 1 mile [or 1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Sego was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Sego still existed, it would have been in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Sego ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Sego - they are located in Kansas and Ohio.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Sego.
Communities near Sego ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Sego.
- Thompson Springs [Grand County]
- Brendel [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brendel
- Brendel [Grand County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Sego
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brendel
- Crescent Junction [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crescent Junction
- Crescent Junction [Grand County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Sego
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crescent Junction
- Valley City [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley City
- Valley City [Grand County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Sego
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Valley City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Cisco [Grand County] - Historic
- Elgin [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elgin
- Elgin [Grand County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the west of Sego
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elgin
- Agate [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Agate
- Agate [Grand County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<5> to the east of Sego
- Green River [Emery County]
- Dewey [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dewey
- Dewey [Grand County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<5> to the southeast of Sego
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dewey have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Dewey:
- Richardson [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richardson
- Richardson [Grand County] was located 29 miles [46.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Sego
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Richardson. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Sego. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Sego.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Sego. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Sego.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Sego. See our Newspapers Page for Sego.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Utah
About Grand County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grand County: www.grandcountyutah.net/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Sego, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Grand, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Sego - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Sego) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Sego. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Sego
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sego. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.0339, Longitude: -109.7026 In this case, the coordinates for Sego have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|