Welcome to Dewey ...
So far, we have found very little information about Dewey. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Dewey to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Dewey, please Contact Us.
Dewey would have been located within present day Grand County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Dewey, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
We don't have a date for the establishment of Dewey.
The community of Dewey was previously named Kingsferry. Going back to its beginning, Dewey was originally named Kingsferry. For more information about the names of Dewey, see The Names of Dewey on our Genealogy Page.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Dewey is 4,140 feet [1,262 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Dewey is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Dewey was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Dewey once stood is in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Dewey ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Utah communities named Dewey: This one is located in Grand County and the other is located in Box Elder County.
Beyond Utah, there are 34 communities that are also named Dewey - they are located in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas (2), British Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan (4), Missouri (3), Montana (2), Nevada, New York, Ohio (2), Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia (2), Washington (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Dewey.
Communities near Dewey ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Dewey.
- Castle Valley [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Valley
- Castle Valley [Grand County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Dewey
- Estimated population in 2019: 350 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Valley
- Richardson [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richardson
- Richardson [Grand County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Dewey
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Richardson. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Cisco [Grand County] - Historic
- Agate [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Agate
- Agate [Grand County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the north of Dewey
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Castleton [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castleton
- Castleton [Grand County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the south of Dewey
- Gateway [Mesa County]
- Basin [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Basin
- Basin [Grand County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the south of Dewey
- Wilson's Mesa [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wilson's Mesa
- Wilson's Mesa [Grand County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the south of Dewey
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Wilson's Mesa. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Wilson's Mesa has also been known as:
- Westwater [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Westwater
- Westwater [Grand County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the northeast of Dewey
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Westwater have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Moab [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moab
- Moab [Grand County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southwest of Dewey
- Estimated population in 2019: 5,336 people
- Former names for Moab:
- Grand Valley
- Mormon Fort
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moab
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Moab<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Dewey. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Dewey.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Dewey. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Dewey.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Dewey. See our Newspapers Page for Dewey.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Utah
About Grand County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grand County: www.grandcountyutah.net/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Dewey, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Grand, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Dewey - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dewey) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Dewey. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Dewey
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dewey. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.8139, Longitude: -109.2968 In this case, the coordinates for Dewey have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|