Welcome to Richardson ...
So far, we have found very little information about Richardson. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Richardson to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Richardson, please Contact Us.
Richardson would have been located within present day Grand County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Richardson, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Time Zone: The area where Richardson was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Richardson once stood is in the (435) area code.
Adding Richardson to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
That's the case with Richardson: The earliest book where we found it mentioned was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Richardson on a .
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Richardson on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Richardson ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 31 communities that are also named Richardson - they are located in Alabama (2), Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas (3), Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi (2), New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ontario (2), Oregon, Saskatchewan, Tennessee (2), Texas, Virginia (3), Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Richardson.
Communities near Richardson ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Richardson.
- Moab [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moab
- Moab [Grand County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southwest of Richardson
- Estimated population in 2019: 5,336 people
- Former names for Moab:
- Grand Valley
- Mormon Fort
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moab
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Moab<5>
- Castle Valley [Grand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Valley
- Castle Valley [Grand County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the south of Richardson
- Estimated population in 2019: 350 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Valley
- Castleton [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castleton
- Castleton [Grand County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Richardson
- Dewey [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dewey
- Dewey [Grand County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Richardson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dewey have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Dewey:
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Wilson's Mesa [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wilson's Mesa
- Wilson's Mesa [Grand County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the south of Richardson
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Wilson's Mesa. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Wilson's Mesa has also been known as:
- Basin [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Basin
- Basin [Grand County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Richardson
- Spanish Valley [San Juan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spanish Valley
- Spanish Valley [San Juan County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the south of Richardson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spanish Valley
- Plainfield [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plainfield
- Plainfield [Grand County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the south of Richardson
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Plainfield. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Plainfield has also been known as:
- Poverty Flat
- Poverty Flats
- Spanish Valley
- Cisco [Grand County] - Historic
- Gateway [Mesa County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Richardson. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Richardson.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Richardson. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Richardson.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Richardson. See our Newspapers Page for Richardson.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Utah
About Grand County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grand County: www.grandcountyutah.net/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Richardson, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Grand, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Richardson) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Richardson. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Richardson
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Richardson. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.7021, Longitude: -109.3719
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|