Welcome to Westwater ...
So far, we have found very little information about Westwater. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Westwater to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Westwater, please Contact Us.
Westwater would have been located within present day Grand County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Westwater, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Westwater is 4,310 feet [1,314 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Westwater is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Westwater was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Westwater would have been located in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Westwater ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Westwater - it's located in New Mexico.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Westwater.
Communities near Westwater ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Westwater.
- Agate [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Agate
- Agate [Grand County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Westwater
- Cisco [Grand County] - Historic
- Mack [Mesa County]
- Loma [Mesa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Loma
- Loma [Mesa County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Westwater
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Loma have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Loma
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Loma<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Glade Park [Mesa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glade Park
- Glade Park [Mesa County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the east of Westwater
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Glade Park have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glade Park
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Glade Park<6>
- Dewey [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dewey
- Dewey [Grand County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the southwest of Westwater
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dewey have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Fruita [Mesa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fruita
- Fruita [Mesa County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the east of Westwater
- Population from the 2020 Census: 14,295 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fruita have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fruita
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fruita<6>
- Redlands [Mesa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redlands
- Redlands [Mesa County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the east of Westwater
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Redlands have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redlands
- Gateway [Mesa County]
- Grand Junction [Mesa County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Westwater. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Westwater.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Westwater. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Westwater.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Westwater. See our Newspapers Page for Westwater.
Adding Westwater to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Westwater in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Westwater was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Westwater on a map (with an unknown title) dated 1900.
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Westwater on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Utah
About Grand County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grand County: www.grandcountyutah.net/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Westwater, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Grand, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Westwater - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Westwater) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Westwater. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WestwaterOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Westwater. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.0806, Longitude: -109.1116 In this case, the coordinates for Westwater have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|