Welcome to Agate ...
So far, we have found very little information about Agate. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Agate to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Agate, please Contact Us.
Agate would have been located within present day Grand County<2>.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Agate is 4,330 feet [1,320 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Agate is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Agate was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Agate once stood is in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Agate ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 10 communities that are also named Agate - they are located in British Columbia, Colorado, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ontario and Washington (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Agate.
Communities near Agate ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Agate.
- Cisco [Grand County] - Historic
- Westwater [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Westwater
- Westwater [Grand County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Agate
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Westwater have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Dewey [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dewey
- Dewey [Grand County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the south of Agate
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dewey have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Richardson [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richardson
- Richardson [Grand County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<4> to the south of Agate
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Richardson. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Sego [Grand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sego
- Sego [Grand County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the west of Agate
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sego have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Sego:
- Mack [Mesa County]
- Thompson Springs [Grand County]
- Loma [Mesa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Loma
- Loma [Mesa County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<4> to the northeast of Agate
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Loma have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Loma
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Loma<5>
- Gateway [Mesa County]
- Glade Park [Mesa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glade Park
- Glade Park [Mesa County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the east of Agate
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Glade Park have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glade Park
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Glade Park<5>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Agate. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Agate.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Agate. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Agate.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Agate. See our Newspapers Page for Agate.
Adding Agate to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Agate in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Agate was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Agate on a map (with an unknown title) dated 1900.
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Agate on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Utah
About Grand County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Grand County: www.grandcountyutah.net/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Agate, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Grand, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Agate - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Agate) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Agate. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AgateOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Agate. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.0151, Longitude: -109.2438 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|