Welcome to Cedar ...
So far, we have found very little information about Cedar. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Cedar to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Cedar, please Contact Us.
Cedar would have been located within present day Emery County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Cedar, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Cedar is 5,200 feet [1,585 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Cedar is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Cedar was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Cedar once stood is in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Cedar ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 35 communities that are also named Cedar - they are located in Arizona, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (5), Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Montana, Nevada (3), North Carolina, Oklahoma (2), South Dakota, Texas (2), West Virginia (2) and Wisconsin (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Cedar.
Communities near Cedar ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Cedar.
- Wellington [Carbon County]
- East Carbon City [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Carbon City
- East Carbon City [Carbon County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the north of Cedar
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,584 people
- Former names for East Carbon City:
- East Carbon City has also been known as:
- East Carbon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Carbon City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for East Carbon City<6>
- Elmo [Emery County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elmo
- Elmo [Emery County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the west of Cedar
- Estimated population in 2019: 402 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elmo have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elmo
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elmo<6>
- Sunnyside [Carbon County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Grassy [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy
- Grassy [Emery County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the southeast of Cedar
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Grassy. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Columbia [Carbon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Columbia
- Columbia [Carbon County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Cedar
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Columbia
- Woodside [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodside
- Woodside [Emery County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the southeast of Cedar
- Former name for Woodside:
- Lower Crossing
- Victor [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Victor
- Victor [Emery County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the west of Cedar
- Kiz [Carbon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kiz
- Kiz [Carbon County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the north of Cedar
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Kiz. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Desert Lake [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Desert Lake
- Desert Lake [Emery County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the west of Cedar
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Desert Lake. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Cedar. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Cedar.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Cedar. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cedar.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Cedar. See our Newspapers Page for Cedar.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Utah
About Emery County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Emery County: www.co.emery.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Cedar, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Emery, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Cedar - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cedar) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cedar. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cedar
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cedar. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.3930, Longitude: -110.4554 In this case, the coordinates for Cedar have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|