Communities Also Named Agatha ...
We have found three communities that share the name Agatha.
Within Alberta, the name Agatha is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Merced County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Agatha [Merced County].
- Nez Perce County
- This Agatha is located in Nez Perce County and lies 348 miles [560.1 km]<2> to the southwest.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Agatha
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Nez Perce County community of Agatha.
- Jackson County
- This community is historic<3> and although located in Jackson County, we don't know where within the .
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Jackson County community of Agatha.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Agatha ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bow Island
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bow Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bow Island
- Bow Island lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the south of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bow Island
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bow Island<5>
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Goat came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goat
- Goat lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the southwest of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goat
- Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy Lake
- Grassy Lake lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hays came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hays
- Hays lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the west of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hays
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Juno
- Juno lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juno
- Medicine Hat
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Redcliff came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redcliff
- Redcliff lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the east of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redcliff
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Redcliff<5>
- Rolling Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rolling Hills
- Rolling Hills lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the west of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rolling Hills
- Seven Persons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seven Persons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Persons
- Seven Persons lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southeast of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seven Persons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sevenpersons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sevenpersons
- Sevenpersons lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Agatha
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sevenpersons
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Agatha. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Joseph Henry 'Joe' Fisher (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Medicine Hat (Alberta) on Tueday July 4, 1916 and died in Medicine Hat (Alberta) on Saturday April 13, 2002 at the age of 85.
- Medicine Hat is located 27 miles [43.5 km] to the east of Agatha.
- Medicine Hat is located 27 miles [43.5 km] to the east of Agatha.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Joseph Henry 'Joe' Fisher<6>
How Far From Agatha to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Agatha to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Agatha and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 254 miles [408.8 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Agatha to Edmonton, with an average speed<7>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,666 miles [2,681.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,413 miles [10,320.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,181 miles [11,556.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,224 miles [8,407.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Agatha could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Agatha) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Agatha. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.1337, Longitude: -111.2830
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Agatha, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Agatha to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.994 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.383 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.294 degrees.||