Welcome to Edmonton ...
The pronunciation of Edmonton: ED-muhn-tuhn<1>
When the people of Edmonton refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Edmontonian<2>
The city of Edmonton was established in 1795 and was incorporated as a city October 8, 1904.
Edmonton is 2,100 feet [640 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Edmonton lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Edmonton: (780) and (587)<4>
Websites for Edmonton ...
Official Website: www.edmonton.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.edmontonchamber.com/
Junior League: www.jledmonton.org/
Adding Edmonton to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Edmonton was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Edmonton on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Edmonton ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Edmonton - they are located in Kentucky and Ontario.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Edmonton.
Communities near Edmonton ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Edmonton.
- Saint Albert
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint Albert
- Saint Albert lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northwest of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint Albert came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint Albert
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Saint Albert<7>
- Spruce Grove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spruce Grove
- Spruce Grove lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the west of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spruce Grove came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spruce Grove
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Spruce Grove<7>
- Fort Saskatchewan
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Morinville
- Morinville lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the north of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Morinville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Morinville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Morinville<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Devon
- Devon lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<5> to the southwest of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Devon came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Devon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Devon<7>
- Upper Manor Estates
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Upper Manor Estates
- Upper Manor Estates lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the north of Edmonton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Upper Manor Estates
- Woodland Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodland Park
- Woodland Park lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Edmonton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodland Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Namao
- Namao lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the north of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Namao came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Namao
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Edmonton ...
Looking for more information about Edmonton? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Edmonton, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Edmonton.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Edmonton: www.edmonton.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Edmonton. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Edmonton refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Edmonton may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Edmonton - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Edmonton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Edmonton. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from EdmontonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Edmonton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.5464, Longitude: -113.5084 |
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|