Communities Also Named Edmonton ...
We have found two communities that share the name Edmonton.
Within Alberta, the name Edmonton is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in Canada and the United States. Of these two communities, one is located in Canada and the other in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Metcalfe County
- This Edmonton is located in Metcalfe County and lies 1,753 miles [2,821.2 km]<1> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Edmonton
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Metcalfe County community of Edmonton.
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Ontario community of Edmonton.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Edmonton ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beverly
- Beverly lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the east of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beverly came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beverly
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carbondale
- Carbondale lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the north of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carbondale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carbondale
- Gold Bar
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gold Bar
- Gold Bar lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the east of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gold Bar came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gold Bar
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hazeldean
- Hazeldean lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the southeast of Edmonton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hazeldean
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hercules
- Hercules lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Edmonton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hercules came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hercules
- Rolling Meadows
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rolling Meadows
- Rolling Meadows lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the west of Edmonton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rolling Meadows
- Virginia Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Virginia Park
- Virginia Park lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Edmonton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Virginia Park
- Woodland Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodland Park
- Woodland Park lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Edmonton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodland Park
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Edmonton. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Arthur Hiller (Director)
- Michael 'Mike' Kmech (Professional football)
- Professional football. He was born in Lamont (AB) on November 21, 1934 (a Wednesday) and died in Edmonton on February 23, 2022 (a Wednesday) at the age of 87. We don't have any burial details.
- Lamont is located 33 miles [53.1 km] to the northeast of Edmonton.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Michael 'Mike' Kmech<4>
- John Kordic (Professional hockey)
- Oscar Herbert Kruger (Professional football)
- Professional football. He was born in Edmonton on December 24, 1932 (a Saturday) and died in Edmonton on July 4, 2010 (a Sunday) at the age of 77.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Oscar Herbert Kruger<4>
- Jack Cecil McIlhargey (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Edmonton on March 7, 1952 (a Friday) and died in Burnaby (BC) on July 19, 2020 (a Sunday) at the age of 68. We don't have any burial details.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Jack Cecil McIlhargey<4>
- John M. 'Red' Pollard (Jockey)
- Hank Smith (Musician)
- Born: Heinz Theodor Schmitz
- Musician. He was born in Garmish - Partenkirchen (Germany) on September 15, 1934 (a Saturday) and died in Edmonton on October 20, 2002 (a Sunday) at the age of 68.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Hank Smith<4>
- Gordon Lynn Strate (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Edmonton on May 28, 1935 (a Tueday) and died in Sherwood Park (AB) on September 5, 2012 (a Wednesday) at the age of 77. He is buried at Glenwood Memorial Gardens (Alberta).
- Sherwood Park is located 8 miles [12.9 km] to the east of Edmonton.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Gordon Lynn Strate<4>
How Far From Edmonton to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Edmonton to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Edmonton and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,762 miles [2,835.7 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Edmonton to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 101 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 69 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,246 miles [10,052 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,013 miles [11,286.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,102 miles [8,210.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Edmonton: www.edmonton.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Edmonton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Edmonton. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from EdmontonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Edmonton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.5464, Longitude: -113.5084 |
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Edmonton could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Edmonton to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.826 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.758 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.167 degrees.||