Welcome to Bow Island ...
A typical abbreviation for Bow Island: Bow Is. (in Canada, 'Isld.' is the more common abbreviation.)
The town of Bow Island is 2,590 feet [789 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the elevation of Bow Island is ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Bow Island lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Area codes for Bow Island: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Bow Island: T0K<3>
Websites for Bow Island ...
Official Website: www.bowisland.com/
Communities near Bow Island ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Bow Island.
- Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy Lake
- Grassy Lake lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the west of Bow Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burdett
- Burdett lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the west of Bow Island.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Burdett came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burdett
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Juno
- Juno lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the west of Bow Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juno
- Conquerville ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conquerville
- Conquerville was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the southeast of Bow Island.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Conquerville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Conquerville has also been known as:
- Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Persons
- Seven Persons lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<4> to the east of Bow Island.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seven Persons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seven Persons
- Purple Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Purple Springs
- Purple Springs lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the west of Bow Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Purple Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hays
- Hays lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the west of Bow Island.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hays came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hays
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Suffield
- Suffield lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the north of Bow Island.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Suffield
- Nemiskam ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nemiskam
- Nemiskam was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<4> to the south of Bow Island.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Bow Island ...
Looking for more information about Bow Island? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Bow Island, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Bow Island.
Adding Bow Island to Our Gazetteer ...
The earliest source we've referenced which mentioned Bow Island was mentioned on a train schedule titled Canadian Pacific Railroad Time Tables (October 1899).
We also found Bow Island on a map titled Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Bow Island.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Bow Island: www.bowisland.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Bow Island - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Bow Island). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Bow Island or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Bow Island) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bow Island. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Bow IslandOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bow Island. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8667, Longitude: -111.3667 |
|<5>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|