We have been working on our Gazetteer for a long time and while we have collected a lot of information, there is much yet to be done. Keep in mind that whenever we find the mention of a community, we simply add it to our list so that we can go back and do further research. While this has proven a good way of finding communities, it has created many more questions than answers. If you can, we would appreciate your help in answering these accumulating questions.
For whatever it's worth, we have been asked many times why don't we just look-up the information ourselves (like from Wikipedia). Our list contains over 160,000 communities and in fact, we spend most of the day doing those searches. At a guess, we figure that it will take nearly a decade to go through the list just once. As you can imagine, any additional help is really appreciated.
Given its bulk, our data obviously contains scattered errors. The majority of the errors come from reference documents that should have been definitive. Some occur while entering our findings and others result from our methodologies. The problem is identifying the errors. As you read through our pages about Wellsburg and find errors, please let us know - we are working to be as accurate as we can.
The last point that we want to make is that we do our updates in blocks and with over 160,000 communities in our Gazetteer, it can be months between updates. We just wanted to warn you that if you sent us a note today, it may be days, months or even longer before the correction actually appears on our Gazetteer. While this seems to be a long time, please remember that it's just my wife and myself doing the work.
Our Wishlist For Wellsburg ...
In the case of Wellsburg, we are searching for the following information.
- We are uncertain about the GPS coordinates that we are currently using for Wellsburg. We would appreciate help in finding a more accurate location than what we have now. The easiest way to find the latitude and longitude is to visit our Interactive Map for Wellsburg
On the map, we usually switch to 'Satellite' mode and zoom-in as needed. You can then move the Map Marker to the desired location (you'll see a cross-hair as you move the Marker). When you release the Marker, the Latitude/Longitude for the Marker will be found just below the map and to the right. Just copy/paste those numbers into your note.
- How do the people of Wellsburg refer to themselves (also known as a Denomyn)?<1> For example, a person from West Virginia is called a West Virginian. In the same way, how would a resident of Wellsburg be called?
- What is the story behind the name of Wellsburg (also known as a Toponym)?
- Are there nicknames, slogans or sobriquets for Wellsburg? For example, Wellsburg might declare itself to be The Happiest Place in Brooke County.
- Do we have the correct time zone for Wellsburg?
- Do you know the ZIP code(s) for Wellsburg?
- Do you know if there is an official website for Wellsburg?
- Is there a Chamber of Commerce website for Wellsburg?
- We are looking for descriptions from old books (1800s thru early 1900s), such as Gazetteers and Shipping Guides, that describe Wellsburg. If you have such a description, please send it to us with the name and year of the book that it came from. If available, please include the author and publisher of the book.
- We've created a list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Wellsburg. Have we missed any? The list can be found on our page for Communities Neighboring Wellsburg in the 1890's.
- Are there cemeteries in the area? Whether they are large or small, famous or forgotten, we would appreciate it if you would send us their name and GPS coordinates (the latitude/longitude). Even if you don't know the name of a cemetery, please send its coordinates - somebody, someplace, may know its name.
If you're interested, we have a list of nearby cemeteries which are relatively close to Wellsburg and you can find this list on our Cemetery List for Wellsburg.
In closing, thank you for any help you can provide. While it might take time for everything to appear on our website, it will make it eventually.