Welcome to Mitchell ...
The city of Mitchell is located in Wheeler County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Mitchell has a population of 122 people<2> (see below for details).
Mitchell was founded in 1837 and was incorporated in 1891.
The community of Mitchell is 3,080 feet [939 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Mitchell is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Mitchell lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area codes for Mitchell: (541) & (458)<4>
The ZIP code for Mitchell: 97750<5>
Websites for Mitchell ...
Official Website: mitchelloregon.us/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Mitchell had an population of 122 people. This is a decrease of 6.15% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 28.24% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Mitchell had a population of 130 people (or 9.02% of the total population of Wheeler County). This makes Mitchell the county's 3rd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 130 people, the population of Mitchell decreased 23.53% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 170 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Mitchell.
Communities Also Named Mitchell ...
While we believe that this Mitchell is located in Wheeler County, we know of another 3 Oregon communities named Mitchell. Those communities are located in the following counties: Crook, Linn and Polk County.
Beyond Oregon, there are 44 communities that are also named Mitchell - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (2), Colorado (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana (2), Manitoba, Michigan (3), Minnesota, Mississippi (3), Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Ontario, Quebec, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas (3), Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Mitchell.
Communities near Mitchell ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Mitchell.
- Waldron [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waldron
- Waldron [Wheeler County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Richmond [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond [Wheeler County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Scissorsville [Crook County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scissorsville
- Scissorsville [Crook County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the southwest of Mitchell
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Scissorsville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Horse Heaven [Jefferson County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horse Heaven
- Horse Heaven [Jefferson County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the northwest of Mitchell
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Spray [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spray
- Spray [Wheeler County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<6> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Population from the 2020 Census: 157 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spray
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Spray<9>
- Donnybrook [Jefferson County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Donnybrook
- Donnybrook [Jefferson County] was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<6> to the northwest of Mitchell
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Donnybrook have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Donnybrook:
- Winlock [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Winlock
- Winlock [Wheeler County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<6> to the northeast of Mitchell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Winlock
- Clarno [Wasco County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarno
- Clarno [Wasco County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<6> to the northwest of Mitchell
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clarno
- Kimberly [Grant County]
- Kinzua [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kinzua
- Kinzua [Wheeler County] was located 29 miles [46.7 km]<6> to the north of Mitchell
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Mitchell. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Mitchell.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Mitchell. See our Newspapers Page for Mitchell.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Mitchell ...
Looking for more information about Mitchell? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Mitchell, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Mitchell.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Oregon Community
About Wheeler County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Mitchell: mitchelloregon.us/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Wheeler, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Mitchell.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Mitchell - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Mitchell). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Mitchell or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mitchell) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mitchell. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MitchellOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mitchell. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5667, Longitude: -120.1540 |
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<9>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|