Welcome to Scissorsville ...
So far, we have found very little information about Scissorsville. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Scissorsville to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Scissorsville, please Contact Us.
Scissorsville would have been located within present day Crook County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Scissorsville, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Time Zone: The area where Scissorsville was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Communities near Scissorsville ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Scissorsville.
- Mitchell [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mitchell
- Mitchell [Wheeler County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Scissorsville
- Population from the 2020 Census: 126 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mitchell
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mitchell<5>
- Post [Crook County]
- Horse Heaven [Jefferson County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horse Heaven
- Horse Heaven [Jefferson County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<4> to the north of Scissorsville
- Prineville [Crook County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prineville
- Prineville [Crook County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<4> to the west of Scissorsville
- Population from the 2020 Census: 11,305 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prineville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Prineville<5>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Waldron [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waldron
- Waldron [Wheeler County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<4> to the northeast of Scissorsville
- Donnybrook [Jefferson County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Donnybrook
- Donnybrook [Jefferson County] was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the northwest of Scissorsville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Donnybrook have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Donnybrook:
- Paulina [Crook County]
- Richmond [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond [Wheeler County] was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Scissorsville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ashwood [Jefferson County]
- Powell Butte [Crook County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Scissorsville. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Scissorsville.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Scissorsville. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Scissorsville.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Scissorsville. See our Newspapers Page for Scissorsville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Oregon
About Crook County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Crook County: www.co.crook.or.us/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Scissorsville, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Crook, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Scissorsville) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Scissorsville. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ScissorsvilleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Scissorsville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.4214, Longitude: -120.3559 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|