Welcome to Richmond ...
So far, we have found very little information about Richmond. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Richmond to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Richmond, please Contact Us.
Richmond would have been located within present day Wheeler County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Richmond, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Richmond is 3,210 feet [978 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Richmond is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Richmond was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Richmond once stood is in the (541) and (458)<5> area codes.
Communities Also Named Richmond ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 62 communities that are also named Richmond - they are located in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, British Columbia, California (2), Florida, Georgia, Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan (2), Minnesota (2), Mississippi (2), Missouri (2), Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Nova Scotia (4), Ohio (2), Oklahoma, Ontario (3), Pennsylvania (5), Prince Edward Island, Quebec (3), Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia (2), Washington and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Richmond.
Communities near Richmond ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Richmond.
- Spray [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spray
- Spray [Wheeler County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the northeast of Richmond
- Population from the 2020 Census: 157 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spray
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Spray<7>
- Mitchell [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mitchell
- Mitchell [Wheeler County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the southwest of Richmond
- Population from the 2020 Census: 126 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mitchell
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mitchell<7>
- Winlock [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Winlock
- Winlock [Wheeler County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the north of Richmond
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Winlock
- Kimberly [Grant County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Kinzua [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kinzua
- Kinzua [Wheeler County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the north of Richmond
- Fossil [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fossil
- Fossil [Wheeler County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the northwest of Richmond
- Population from the 2020 Census: 455 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fossil
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Fossil<7>
- Horse Heaven [Jefferson County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horse Heaven
- Horse Heaven [Jefferson County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<6> to the west of Richmond
- Lonerock [Gilliam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lonerock
- Lonerock [Gilliam County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<6> to the north of Richmond
- Population from the 2020 Census: 22 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lonerock
- Clarno [Wasco County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarno
- Clarno [Wasco County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<6> to the northwest of Richmond
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clarno
- Mayville [Gilliam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mayville
- Mayville [Gilliam County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<6> to the northwest of Richmond
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayville
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Richmond. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Richmond.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Richmond. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Richmond.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Richmond. See our Newspapers Page for Richmond.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Oregon
About Wheeler County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Richmond, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Wheeler, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Richmond - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Richmond) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Richmond. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from RichmondOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Richmond. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.7306, Longitude: -119.9901 In this case, the coordinates for Richmond have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|