Welcome to Kinzua ...
So far, we have found very little information about Kinzua. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Kinzua to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Kinzua, please Contact Us.
Kinzua would have been located within present day Wheeler County<2>.
Kinzua was established in 1927.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Kinzua is 3,400 feet [1,036 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Kinzua is about ¾ mile [or ~1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Kinzua was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Kinzua once stood is in the (541) & (458)<4> area codes.
Communities Also Named Kinzua ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Kinzua - it's located in Pennsylvania.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Kinzua.
Communities near Kinzua ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Kinzua.
- Condon [Gilliam County]
- Fossil [Wheeler County]
- Spray [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spray
- Spray [Wheeler County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Kinzua
- Population from the 2020 Census: 157 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spray
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Spray<6>
- Lonerock [Gilliam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lonerock
- Lonerock [Gilliam County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the northeast of Kinzua
- Population from the 2020 Census: 22 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lonerock
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Mayville [Gilliam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mayville
- Mayville [Gilliam County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Kinzua
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayville
- Winlock [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Winlock
- Winlock [Wheeler County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southeast of Kinzua
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Winlock
- Richmond [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond [Wheeler County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the south of Kinzua
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Waldron [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waldron
- Waldron [Wheeler County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the south of Kinzua
- Clarno [Wasco County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarno
- Clarno [Wasco County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the west of Kinzua
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clarno
- Gooseberry [Morrow County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gooseberry
- Gooseberry [Morrow County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the north of Kinzua
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gooseberry have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gooseberry
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Kinzua. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Kinzua.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Kinzua. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Kinzua.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Kinzua. See our Newspapers Page for Kinzua.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Oregon
About Wheeler County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Kinzua, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Wheeler, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Kinzua - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kinzua) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kinzua. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from KinzuaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kinzua. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.9895, Longitude: -120.0593 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|