Our Genealogy Helper for Boularderie Island ...
Although we found mention of Boularderie Island during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Boularderie Island was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Boularderie Island (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Boularderie Island. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Boularderie Island ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Boularderie Island: Boularderie Is. (in Canada, 'Isld.' is the more common abbreviation.)
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Boularderie Island:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Boularderie Island ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Boularderie Island.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Boularderie Island covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- New Harris Cemetery
- St. James Presbyterian Cemetery
- Man O'War Point Cemetery
- St. Joachims RC Church Cemetery
- Upper Leitches Creek / Calvin United Church Cemetery
- Bay View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bay View Cemetery
- The Bay View Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Englishtown.More accurately, Bay View Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northwest of Boularderie Island.
- Bay View Cemetery has also been known as:
- Bayview Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bay View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2644696<2>
- Continue List ...
- St. Andrew Cemetery
- St. Joseph's Catholic Parish Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Joseph's Catholic Parish Church Cemetery
- St. Joseph's Catholic Parish Church Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Boularderie Island.
- St. Joseph's Catholic Parish Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Joseph's Cemetery, Little Bras d'Or
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Joseph's Catholic Parish Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2305786<2>
- MacLeod Pioneer Cemetery
- St. Andrew's RC Cemetery
- St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Lakeside Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lakeside Cemetery
- Lakeside Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the east of Boularderie Island.
- Lakeside Cemetery has also been known as:
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Johnson Road Cemetery
- Lake Side Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lakeside Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2293498<2>
- Pine Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pine Hill Cemetery
- The Pine Hill Cemetery is located 3 miles [4.8 km]<3> to the south of Englishtown.Pine Hill Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km] to the northwest of Boularderie Island.
- Pine Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Pinehill Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pine Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2645189<2>
- MacKenzie Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Boularderie Island. See our List of 1890's Communities around Boularderie Island.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Boularderie Island and then turned west". While Boularderie Island could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Boularderie Island as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Boularderie Island could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Boularderie Island.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Boularderie Island) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Boularderie Island. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Boularderie Island
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Boularderie Island. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.2167, Longitude: -60.4492