Our Genealogy Helper for Conchas (aka 'Conchas Dam') ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Conchas (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Conchas. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Conchas ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
Conchas has also been known as: Conchas Dam.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the northeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most hospitals were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the north.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the north contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Conchas is located in San Miguel County.
To see how the shape of New Mexico's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of San Miguel County: Guadalupe, Harding, Mora, Quay, Santa Fe & Torrance.
Below are the counties that are near Conchas. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Conchas:
- San Miguel County (The home county of Conchas)
- Hooverville [San Miguel County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hooverville
- Hooverville [San Miguel County] lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Conchas
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hooverville
- Trementina [San Miguel County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Trementina
- Trementina [San Miguel County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Conchas
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Trementina have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Guadalupe County
- Newkirk [Guadalupe County]
- Cuervo [Guadalupe County]
- Harding County
- Mosquero [Harding County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mosquero
- Mosquero [Harding County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Conchas
- Population from the 2020 Census: 85 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mosquero
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mosquero<3>
- Armenta Plaza [Harding County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Armenta Plaza
- Armenta Plaza [Harding County] was located 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the north of Conchas
- Solano [Harding County]
- Roy [Harding County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roy
- Roy [Harding County] lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<1> to the north of Conchas
- Population from the 2020 Census: 216 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roy
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Roy<3>
- Quay County
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Conchas, see our County-by-County Page for Conchas.
Newspapers Published in Conchas ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 36 newspapers that have been published in the area around Conchas.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Conchas, there are papers which were published within 36 miles [57.9 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Conchas.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Conchas:
- Websites specific to New Mexico
- Pages specific to San Miguel County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Guadalupe County
- Harding County
- Quay County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for New Mexico
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New Mexico
Cemeteries Near Conchas ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Conchas.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Conchas covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- La Cinta Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the La Cinta Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the La Cinta Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on La Cinta Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #38159<5>
- Alamosa Plaza Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alamosa Plaza Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Alamosa Plaza Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Alamosa Plaza Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the north of Conchas.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alamosa Plaza Cemetery
- San Lorenzo Cemetery
- Trementina Cemetery
- Sena Cemetery
- Monte Calvario Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Montoya Cemetery
- Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe Cemetery
- Sagrado Corazon Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sagrado Corazon Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Sagrado Corazon Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- The Sagrado Corazon Cemetery is located 36 miles [57.9 km]<1> to the west of Las Vegas.More precisely, Sagrado Corazon Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km] to the west of Conchas.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sagrado Corazon Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #38377<5>
- Newkirk Cemetery
- Canon Largo Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Canon Largo Cemetery
- The Canon Largo Cemetery is located in the vicinity of AnconStated another way, Canon Largo Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Conchas.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Canon Largo Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #37977<5>
- Juan Torres Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Juan Torres Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Juan Torres Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Juan Torres Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Conchas.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juan Torres Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #38146<5>
- Bryantine Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bryantine Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Bryantine Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Bryantine Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Conchas.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bryantine Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #37967<5>
- Mosquero Creek Cemetery
- Cuervo Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Conchas. See our List of 1890's Communities around Conchas.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Conchas
Cities, Towns and Villages of New Mexico
About San Miguel County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Conchas. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Conchas) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Conchas. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ConchasOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Conchas. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.4093, Longitude: -104.1923 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|