Our Genealogy Helper for Nutrioso ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Nutrioso (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Nutrioso. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors and hospitals were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Nutrioso is located in Apache County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Apache County: Graham, Greenlee, Navajo, Montezuma (CO), Catron (NM), Cibola (NM), McKinley (NM), San Juan (NM) & San Juan (UT).
Below are the counties that are near Nutrioso. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Nutrioso:
- Apache County (The home county of Nutrioso)
- Alpine [Apache County]
- Eagar [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eagar
- Eagar [Apache County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Nutrioso
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,956 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eagar
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Eagar<2>
- Springerville [Apache County]
- Greer [Apache County]
- Northwoods [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Northwoods
- Northwoods [Apache County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the west of Nutrioso
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Northwoods
- Vernon [Apache County]
- McNary [Apache County]
- Saint Johns [Apache County]
- Greenlee County
- Sprucedale [Greenlee County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sprucedale
- Sprucedale [Greenlee County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Nutrioso
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sprucedale have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Blue [Greenlee County]
- Catron County (NM)
- Luna [Catron County]
- Reserve [Catron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reserve
- Reserve [Catron County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Nutrioso
- Population from the 2020 Census: 285 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reserve
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Reserve<2>
- Aragon [Catron County]
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Nutrioso, see our County-by-County Page for Nutrioso.
Newspapers Published in Nutrioso ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 32 newspapers that have been published in the area around Nutrioso.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Nutrioso, there are papers which were published within 39 miles [62.8 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Nutrioso.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Nutrioso:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Apache County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Greenlee County
- Catron County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
- Stories from New Mexico
Cemeteries Near Nutrioso ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Nutrioso.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Nutrioso covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Rogers Cemetery
- Maxwell Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Maxwell Family Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Maxwell Family Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- The Maxwell Family Cemetery is located outside and to the north of Nutrioso.
- Maxwell Family Cemetery has also been known as:
- Maxwell Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maxwell Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #57060<4>
- Nutrioso Cemetery
- Butler Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Butler Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Butler Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Butler Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the north of Nutrioso.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Butler Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #56983<4>
- Schultz Gravesite
- Alpine City Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Eagar Cemetery
- Burk Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Burk Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Burk Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Burk Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the north of Nutrioso.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burk Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2216553<4>
- Becker Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Becker Family Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Becker Family Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Becker Family Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Nutrioso.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Becker Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2216549<4>
- Luna Cemetery
- Spur Lake Cemetery
- Blue Cemetery
- Jones Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Jones Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Jones Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jones Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Nutrioso.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jones Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #57044<4>
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<6>
The Rand McNally Atlas shows that Nutrioso had a population of 55 people in 1895 with a post office and no railroad service.
- Nutrioso [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nutrioso
- Nutrioso [Apache County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the southeast of Nutrioso
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 55 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Nutrioso had a post office and no railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nutrioso
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Nutrioso<2>
- Springerville [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springerville
- Springerville [Apache County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north of Nutrioso
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 443 people
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,985 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Springerville had a post office and no railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Springerville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Springerville<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Nutrioso. See our List of 1890's Communities around Nutrioso.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Nutrioso
Search for a Community located in Arizona
About Apache County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Nutrioso. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Apache County: www.co.apache.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Nutrioso) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Nutrioso. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from NutriosoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nutrioso. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.9534, Longitude: -109.2087 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Nutrioso, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|