Our Genealogy Helper for Cornfields ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cornfields (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cornfields. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most hospitals were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Cornfields is located in Apache County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Apache County: Graham, Greenlee, Navajo, Montezuma (CO), Catron (NM), Cibola (NM), McKinley (NM), San Juan (NM) & San Juan (UT).
Below are the counties that are near Cornfields. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Cornfields:
- Apache County (The home county of Cornfields)
- Burnside [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Burnside
- Burnside [Apache County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the north of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Burnside
- Ganado [Apache County]
- Steamboat [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Steamboat
- Steamboat [Apache County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Steamboat
- Klagetoh [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Klagetoh
- Klagetoh [Apache County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Klagetoh
- Toyei [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Toyei
- Toyei [Apache County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the west of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Toyei
- Kinlichee [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kinlichee
- Kinlichee [Apache County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kinlichee
- Woodsprings [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodsprings
- Woodsprings [Apache County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northeast of Cornfields
- Woodsprings has also been known as:
- Woodspring Trading Post
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodsprings
- Wide Ruins [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wide Ruins
- Wide Ruins [Apache County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the southeast of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wide Ruins
- Nazlini [Apache County]
- Pine Springs [Apache County]
- Saint Michaels [Apache County]
- Fort Defiance [Apache County]
- Chambers [Apache County]
- Navajo County
- Greasewood [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greasewood
- Greasewood [Navajo County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Cornfields
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greasewood
- Jeddito [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jeddito
- Jeddito [Navajo County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the west of Cornfields
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jeddito have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jeddito
- Indian Wells [Navajo County]
- Keams Canyon [Navajo County]
- McKinley County (NM)
- Navajo [McKinley County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Navajo
- Navajo [McKinley County] lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Cornfields
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Navajo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Navajo
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Navajo<2>
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Cornfields, see our County-by-County Page for Cornfields.
Newspapers Published in Cornfields ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 9 newspapers that have been published in the area around Cornfields.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Cornfields, there are papers which were published within 34 miles [54.7 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Cornfields.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cornfields:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Apache County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Navajo County
- McKinley County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
- Stories from New Mexico
Cemeteries Near Cornfields ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cornfields.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cornfields covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Ganado Community Cemetery
- Ganado Mission Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ganado Mission Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Ganado Mission Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Ganado Mission Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Cornfields.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ganado Mission Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #57016<4>
- Greasewood Community Cemetery
- Kinlichee Cemetery
- Indian Wells Community Cemetery
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<6>
While we didn't find Cornfields in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Cornfields.
- Ganado [Apache County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ganado
- Ganado [Apache County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Cornfields
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 22 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Ganado had a post office and no railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ganado
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ganado<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cornfields. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cornfields.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Arizona Community
About Apache County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cornfields. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Apache County: www.co.apache.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cornfields) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cornfields. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cornfields
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cornfields. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.6515, Longitude: -109.6799
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Cornfields, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|