Glossary and Definitions ...
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a community like Toad Suck). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the community of Toad Suck:
- State Code: 05 (Arkansas)
- State / County Code: 05 / 105 (Perry County)
- State / Place Code: 05 / 69375
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Toad Suck.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Toad Suck has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '57209'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Toad Suck.
- A portmanteau is the forming of a linguistic combination or contraction by taking two (or more) words, their sound and the meaning of those words to create a new word. For example, guess and estimate becomes guesstimate. An explanation of Toad Suck can be found under Toponymy (see below).
- The definition of toponymy includes the study of place names (in this case, the community of Toad Suck). Toponymy includes the origin of the name and any meanings or stories that might be behind the name. While we generally limit ourselves to just the origin of a community's name, we appreciate any additional information.
The toponymy of Toad Suck:
As the story goes: Prior to the construction of the Toad Suck Lock and Dam and when the Arkansas River was running low, boats would tie-up in this area waiting for higher water. The boat crews would spend their time at the nearby taverns and the locals would complain that "They suck on the bottle til they swell like toads" - leading to the name Toad Suck.