Census Data for Cordova ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Cordova a population of 2,169 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Cordova a population of 2,239 people.
The 2010 Census gave Alaska had a population of 710,231 people, meaning that Cordova had 0.32% of the total population of Alaska - making it the state's 22nd most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Cordova has a total area of 75.7 square miles [195.9 km²]. Of this total, 60 square miles [155.3 km²] is land, with the balance (20.74%) being water (15.69 square miles [40.6 km²]).
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a city like Cordova, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the city.
- Things like population, area and housing for Cordova reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Cordova might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 60° 31' 48" (or 60.5°)
- Lon: -145° 38' 31" (or -145.64°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Cordova had 1,100 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 2,239 people, this averages 2.04 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Cordova had a land area of 60 square miles [155.3 km²]. This translates to 14.54 Housing Units per square mile [5.61 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Cordova had 1,099 Housing Units, a population of 2,454 people and a land area of 61.4 square miles [158.9 km²]. This gives a density of 2.23 people per Housing Unit and 14.53 Housing Units per square mile [5.61 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Cordova and you need to be careful when comparing between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Cordova, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Cordova. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Cordova or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Cordova, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Cordova.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 60.530138° (or 60°31'48" N)
- Lon: -145.642065° (or -145°38'31" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 60.539206° (or 60°32'21" N)
- Lon: -145.702230° (or -145°42'8" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 2 miles to the east<4> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2419373) to Cordova. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Cordova. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 60.540003° (or 60°32'24" N)
- Lon: -145.632340° (or -145°37'56" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 3,997 feet to the southwest<5> of the point given by the GNIS for Cordova. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Cordova.
Miscellaneous Information for Cordova ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either or the city of Cordova:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Cordova:
- GNIS ID for Cordova: 2419373
- GNIS ID for State of Alaska: 1785533
- The FIPS Codes ...
- An earlier (and largely obsolete) identification method was called the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS):
- State Code: 02 (Alaska)
- Place Code: 17410 (Cordova)
- State & Place Code: 02/17410 (Alaska / Cordova)
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Cordova is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #9 (the Pacific Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a city like Cordova, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Cordova. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Cordova:99574<6>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Cordova.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Cordova: www.cordovachamber.com/
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 252 degrees and a distance of 2 miles.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 154 degrees and a distance of 3,997 feet.|
|<6>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Cordova or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|