Census Data for Big Lake ...
As far as we can tell, Big Lake has not been included in past Census counts, so there is no population information for this community.
While we don't have census information for Big Lake, you might be interested in some nearby communities where we do:
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Houston
- Houston lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Big Lake
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 2,412 people. This represents a 26.15% increase since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 1,912 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Houston
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Houston<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wasilla
- Wasilla lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the east of Big Lake
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 10,838 people. This represents a 38.4% increase since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 7,831 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wasilla
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wasilla<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anchorage
- Anchorage lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the south of Big Lake
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 288,000 people. This represents a 1.31% decrease since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 291,826 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anchorage
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Anchorage<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Palmer
- Palmer lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Big Lake
- The population in 2019 was estimated at 7,456 people. This represents a 25.59% increase since 2010.The 2010 Census gave a population of 5,937 people.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Palmer
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Palmer<2>
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Y came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Y
- Y lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<1> to the north of Big Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Y
Miscellaneous Information for Big Lake ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either or the community of Big Lake:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Big Lake:
- GNIS ID for Big Lake: 1893623
- GNIS ID for State of Alaska: 1785533
- The FIPS Codes ...
- An earlier (and largely obsolete) identification method was called the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS):
- State Code: 02 (Alaska)
- Place Code: 07070 (Big Lake)
- State & Place Code: 02/07070 (Alaska / Big Lake)
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Big Lake is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #9 (the Pacific Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a community like Big Lake, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Big Lake. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Big Lake:99652<4>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Big Lake.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Big Lake: www.biglake-ak.com/
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Big Lake) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Big Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Big Lake
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Big Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 61.5128, Longitude: -149.9833
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Big Lake or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).||