Communities Also Named Grassy Lake ...
We have found two communities that share the name Grassy Lake.
Within Alberta, the name Grassy Lake is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in Canada and the United States. Of these two communities, one is located in Canada and the other in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Crittenden County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Arkansas community of Grassy Lake [Crittenden County].
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Quebec community of Grassy Lake.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Grassy Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bow Island (15 miles [24.1 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bow Island
- Bow Island lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the east of Grassy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bow Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bow Island
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bow Island<4>
- Conquerville (23 miles [37 km] to the southeast) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conquerville
- Conquerville was located 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the southeast of Grassy Lake
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Conquerville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Conquerville has also been known as:
- Goat (7 miles [11.3 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goat
- Goat lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the north of Grassy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Goat came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goat
- Hays (13 miles [20.9 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hays
- Hays lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Grassy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hays came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hays
- Juno (4 miles [6.4 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Juno
- Juno lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the east of Grassy Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juno
- Legend (23 miles [37 km] to the south) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Legend
- Legend was located 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Grassy Lake
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Legend. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Purple Springs (8 miles [12.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Purple Springs
- Purple Springs lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the west of Grassy Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Purple Springs
- Skiff (22 miles [35.4 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Skiff
- Skiff lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the south of Grassy Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Skiff
How Far From Grassy Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Grassy Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Grassy Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 268 miles [431.3 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Grassy Lake to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 16 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,685 miles [2,711.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 96 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,440 miles [10,364.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,209 miles [11,601.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,252 miles [8,452.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Grassy Lake
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Grassy Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Grassy Lake could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Grassy Lake) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Grassy Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Grassy LakeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Grassy Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8262, Longitude: -111.6997 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Grassy Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.318 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.727 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.61 degrees.||