Curious and Interesting Names Near Goat ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bow Island
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bow Island came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bow Island
- Bow Island lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the east of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bow Island
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bow Island<3>
- Conquerville - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Conquerville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conquerville
- Conquerville was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Goat
- Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy Lake
- Grassy Lake lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the south of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hays came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hays
- Hays lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the west of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hays
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Juno
- Juno lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juno
- Purple Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Purple Springs
- Purple Springs lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Purple Springs
- Rolling Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rolling Hills
- Rolling Hills lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the north of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rolling Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Skiff
- Skiff lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the south of Goat
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Skiff
How Far From Goat to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Goat to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Goat and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 261 miles [420 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Goat to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,685 miles [2,711.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 96 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,434 miles [10,354.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,202 miles [11,590.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,246 miles [8,442.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Goat. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Goat) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Goat. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.9333, Longitude: -111.7000
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Goat to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.321 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.74 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.594 degrees.||