Communities Also Named Calgary ...
We have found one communities that share the name Calgary.
Within Alberta, the name Calgary is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Calgary in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- San Augustine County
- This Calgary is located in San Augustine County and lies 1,683 miles [2,708.5 km]<1> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calgary
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the San Augustine County community of Calgary.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Calgary ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Coral Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coral Springs
- Coral Springs lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coral Springs
- Forest Lawn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forest Lawn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest Lawn
- Forest Lawn lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the southeast of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest Lawn
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haysboro
- Haysboro lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the south of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haysboro
- Heritage Woods
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the west of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highwood
- Highwood lies less than 2 miles<1> to the north of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood
- Signal Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Hill
- Signal Hill lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southwest of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside lies less than 2 miles<1> to the southwest of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyside
- Two Guns
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Guns
- Two Guns lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Guns
- Valley Ridge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley Ridge
- Valley Ridge lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Ridge
- Vista Heights
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vista Heights
- Vista Heights lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the east of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vista Heights
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Calgary. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Henry 'Hank' Bassen (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Calgary on Tueday December 6, 1932 and died in Calgary on Friday May 29, 2009 at the age of 76. He is buried at Queen's Park Cemetery (Alberta).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Henry 'Hank' Bassen<3>
- Leslie Roy 'Les' Cunningham (Professional hockey)
- Norman Alexander Mervyn 'Red' Dutton (Professional hockey)
- James Norman 'Dutch' Gainor (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Calgary on Sunday April 10, 1904 and died in Calgary on Tueday January 16, 1962 at the age of 57. He is buried at Union Cemetery (Alberta).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: James Norman 'Dutch' Gainor<3>
- Glen Gorbous (Major League Baseball)
- Major League Baseball. He was born in Drumheller (Alberta) on Tueday July 8, 1930 and died in Calgary on Tueday June 12, 1990 at the age of 59.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Glen Gorbous<3>
- Owen James Hart (Professional wrestler)
- Stewart E. 'Stu' Hart (Professional wrestler)
- Herbert A. 'The Duke of Duluth' Lewis (Professional hockey)
- Michael Anthony 'Mike' Lozanski (Professional wrestler)
- Professional wrestler. He was born in Calgary on Wednesday November 13, 1968 and died in Vancouver (British Columbia) on Thursday December 18, 2003 at the age of 35.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Michael Anthony 'Mike' Lozanski<3>
- Rhonda A. 'Bertha Faye' Singh (Professional wrestler)
- Professional wrestler. She was born in Calgary on Tueday February 21, 1961 and died in Calgary on Friday July 27, 2001 at the age of 40.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Rhonda A. 'Bertha Faye' Singh<3>
- Cecil Ralph 'Tiny' Thompson (Professional hockey)
- Paul Ivan Thompson (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Calgary on Friday November 2, 1906 and died in Calgary on Friday September 13, 1991 at the age of 84. He is buried at Burnsland Cemetery (Alberta).
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Paul Ivan Thompson<3>
How Far From Calgary to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Calgary to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Calgary and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 173 miles [278.4 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Calgary to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,785 miles [2,872.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,411 miles [10,317.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,178 miles [11,551.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,251 miles [8,450.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Calgary: www.calgary.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Calgary) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Calgary. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Calgary
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Calgary. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0638, Longitude: -114.0684
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Calgary to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.247 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.033 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.953 degrees.||