Communities Also Named Calgary ...
We have found one communities that share the name Calgary.
Within Alberta, the name Calgary is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Calgary in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- San Augustine County
- This Calgary is located in San Augustine County and lies 1,683 miles [2,708.5 km]<1> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calgary
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the San Augustine County community of Calgary.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Calgary ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Coral Springs (6 miles [9.7 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coral Springs
- Coral Springs lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coral Springs
- Forest Lawn (4 miles [6.4 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest Lawn
- Forest Lawn lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the southeast of Calgary
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forest Lawn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest Lawn
- Haysboro (6 miles [9.7 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haysboro
- Haysboro lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the south of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haysboro
- Heritage Woods (7 miles [11.3 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the west of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Highwood (less than 2 miles to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highwood
- Highwood lies less than 2 miles<1> to the north of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood
- Signal Hill (5 miles [8 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Hill
- Signal Hill lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southwest of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Hill
- Sunnyside (less than 2 miles to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside lies less than 2 miles<1> to the southwest of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyside
- Two Guns (8 miles [12.9 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Guns
- Two Guns lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Guns
- Valley Ridge (8 miles [12.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley Ridge
- Valley Ridge lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Ridge
- Vista Heights (2 miles [3.2 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vista Heights
- Vista Heights lies 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the east of Calgary
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vista Heights
How Far From Calgary to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Calgary to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Calgary and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 173 miles [278.4 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Calgary to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,785 miles [2,872.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,411 miles [10,317.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,178 miles [11,551.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,251 miles [8,450.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Notable Births & Deaths for Calgary
Mentions & References for Calgary
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Calgary: www.calgary.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Calgary) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Calgary. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CalgaryOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Calgary. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0638, Longitude: -114.0684 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Calgary to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.247 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.033 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.953 degrees.|