Welcome to Calgary ...
The pronunciation of Calgary: KAL-guh-ree<1>
The city of Calgary was established in 1875.
When the people of Calgary refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Calgarian<2>
Calgary is 3,560 feet [1,085 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Calgary is about ¾ mile [or ~1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Calgary lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Calgary: (403) & (587)<4>
The Canadian Postal Codes for Calgary: T1W, T1X, T1Y, T2A, T2B, T2C, T2E, T2G, T2H, T2J, T2K, T2L, T2M, T2N, T2P, T2R, T2S, T2T, T2V, T2W, T2X, T2Y, T2Z, T3A, T3B, T3C, T3E, T3G, T3H, T3J, T3K, T3L, T3M, T3N, T3P, T3R, T3S, T3Z, T4A, T4B<5>
Websites for Calgary ...
Official Website: www.calgary.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.calgarychamber.com/
Communities Also Named Calgary ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found another community named Calgary - it's located in Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Calgary.
Communities near Calgary ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Calgary.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chestermere
- Chestermere lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the east of Calgary.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chestermere came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chestermere
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chestermere<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Langdon
- Langdon lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the east of Calgary.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Langdon came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Langdon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Langdon<7>
- Heritage Woods
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the west of Calgary.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- High Point Estates
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for High Point Estates
- High Point Estates lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the east of Calgary.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on High Point Estates
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shepard
- Shepard lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the southeast of Calgary.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shepard
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Varsity
- Varsity lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<6> to the northwest of Calgary.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Varsity
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Martindale
- Martindale lies 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the northeast of Calgary.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Martindale
- Signal Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Hill
- Signal Hill lies 5 miles [8 km]<6> to the southwest of Calgary.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Hill
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Calgary ...
Looking for more information about Calgary? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Calgary, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Calgary.
Adding Calgary to Our Gazetteer ...
The earliest source we've referenced which mentioned Calgary was mentioned on a train schedule titled Canadian Pacific Railroad Time Tables (October 1899).
We also found Calgary on a map titled Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Calgary.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Calgary: www.calgary.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Calgary. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Calgary refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Calgary may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Calgary - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<5>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Calgary, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Calgary). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Calgary or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Calgary) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Calgary. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CalgaryOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Calgary. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0638, Longitude: -114.0684 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|