Welcome to Cochrane ...
The town of Cochrane was established in 1881 and was incorporated as a town in 1971.
Cochrane is 4,030 feet [1,228 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the elevation of Cochrane is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Cochrane lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Cochrane: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Cochrane: T4C<3>
Websites for Cochrane ...
Official Website: www.cochrane.ca/
Adding Cochrane to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Cochrane was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Cochrane on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Cochrane ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 6 communities that are also named Cochrane - they are located in Alabama, California, Kansas, Ontario, Oregon and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Cochrane.
Communities near Cochrane ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Cochrane.
- Bragg Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bragg Creek
- Bragg Creek lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the south of Cochrane
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bragg Creek came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bragg Creek
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bragg Creek<5>
- Heritage Woods
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Cochrane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Ghost Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ghost Lake
- Ghost Lake lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the west of Cochrane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ghost Lake
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waiparous
- Waiparous lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the west of Cochrane
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Waiparous came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waiparous
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Benchlands
- Benchlands lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Cochrane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Benchlands
- Cochrane Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cochrane Lake
- Cochrane Lake lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the north of Cochrane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cochrane Lake
- Glenbow - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glenbow
- Glenbow was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the southeast of Cochrane
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Glenbow. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jumping Pound
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jumping Pound
- Jumping Pound lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the south of Cochrane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jumping Pound
- Valley Ridge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley Ridge
- Valley Ridge lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Cochrane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Ridge
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Cochrane ...
Looking for more information about Cochrane? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Cochrane, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Cochrane.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Cochrane: www.cochrane.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Cochrane - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Cochrane, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Cochrane). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Cochrane or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cochrane) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cochrane. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CochraneOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cochrane. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.1893, Longitude: -114.4752 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|