Welcome to Shepard ...
Shepard is 3,340 feet [1,018 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Shepard is about ¾ mile [or 1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Shepard lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Area codes for Shepard: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Shepard: T3S<3>
Communities Also Named Shepard ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 8 communities that are also named Shepard - they are located in Iowa, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota (2), Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Shepard.
Communities near Shepard ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Shepard.
- Calgary (10 miles [16.1 km] to the northwest)
- Okotoks (15 miles [24.1 km] to the south)
- Chestermere (6 miles [9.7 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chestermere
- Chestermere lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Shepard
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chestermere came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chestermere
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Chestermere<5>
- Langdon (10 miles [16.1 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Langdon
- Langdon lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of Shepard
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Langdon came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Langdon
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Langdon<5>
- Heritage Woods (16 miles [25.7 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Shepard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- High Point Estates (7 miles [11.3 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for High Point Estates
- High Point Estates lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northeast of Shepard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on High Point Estates
- Cheadle (16 miles [25.7 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cheadle
- Cheadle lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the east of Shepard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cheadle
- Lyalta (17 miles [27.4 km] to the northeast)
- Deer Run (4 miles [6.4 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deer Run
- Deer Run lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Shepard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deer Run
- Douglas Glen (4 miles [6.4 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Douglas Glen
- Douglas Glen lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the west of Shepard
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Douglas Glen
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Shepard ...
Looking for more information about Shepard? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Shepard, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Shepard.
Adding Shepard to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Shepard was
We also found Shepard on a map titled Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Shepard on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Shepard
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Shepard. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Shepard - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Shepard). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Shepard or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Shepard) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Shepard. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ShepardOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Shepard. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.9518, Longitude: -113.9079 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|