Welcome to Okotoks ...
The town of Okotoks was founded in 1891 and was incorporated in 1904.
Okotoks is 3,430 feet [1,045 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Okotoks is about ¾ mile [or ~1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Okotoks lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Area codes for Okotoks: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Okotoks: T1S<3>
Websites for Okotoks ...
Official Website: www.okotoks.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.okotoks.ca/
Adding Okotoks to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Okotoks was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Okotoks on our Genealogy Page.
Communities near Okotoks ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Okotoks.
- High River
- Black Diamond
- Turner Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackie
- Blackie lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the southeast of Okotoks
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackie
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longview
- Longview lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Okotoks
- Former names for Longview:
- Little Chicago
- New York
- Little New York
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longview
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longview<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cayley
- Cayley lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the south of Okotoks
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cayley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cayley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shepard
- Shepard lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the north of Okotoks
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shepard
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aldersyde
- Aldersyde lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the southeast of Okotoks
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aldersyde came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aldersyde
- De Winton
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Academy
- Academy lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the north of Okotoks
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Academy
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Okotoks ...
Looking for more information about Okotoks? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Okotoks, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Okotoks.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Okotoks: www.okotoks.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Okotoks - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Okotoks, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Okotoks). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Okotoks or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Okotoks) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Okotoks. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OkotoksOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Okotoks. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.7249, Longitude: -113.9750 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|