Welcome to High River ...
A typical abbreviation for High River: High Riv.
While we don't have a date for the establishment of High River, you might get a feel for its founding by knowing that they incorporated February 13, 1906.
The town of High River is 3,390 feet [1,033 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of High River is about ¾ mile [or ~1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: High River lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Area codes for High River: (403) & (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for High River: T1V<3>
Websites for High River ...
Official Website: www.highriver.ca/
Adding High River to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for High River was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for High River on our Genealogy Page.
Communities near High River ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near High River.
- Black Diamond
- Turner Valley
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackie
- Blackie lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of High River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longview
- Longview lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the west of High River
- Former names for Longview:
- Little Chicago
- New York
- Little New York
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longview
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longview<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cayley
- Cayley lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the south of High River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cayley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cayley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aldersyde
- Aldersyde lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of High River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aldersyde came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aldersyde
- Frankburg - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frankburg
- Frankburg was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of High River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Frankburg came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brant
- Brant lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the east of High River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brant
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for High River ...
Looking for more information about High River? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for High River, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for High River.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for High River: www.highriver.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around High River - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of High River, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as High River). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether High River or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- High River) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for High River. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from High RiverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in High River. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.5802, Longitude: -113.8708 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|