Communities Also Named Cairns ...
We have found three communities that share the name Cairns.
Within Alberta, the name Cairns is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
In addition to the above occurrences of Cairns, we know of another community located outside of the United States and Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Tulare County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Cairns [Tulare County].
- Clare County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Cairns [Clare County].
- Communities Beyond North America ...
- Distance: 7,707 miles [12,403.2 km]<2> to the west
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cairns
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cairns ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cactus Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cactus Lake
- Cactus Lake lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Cairns
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cactus Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cosine
- Cosine lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Cairns
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cosine came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cosine
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Czar
- Czar lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Cairns
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Czar
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Denzil
- Denzil lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> to the east of Cairns
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Denzil
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monitor
- Monitor lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Cairns
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monitor
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Primate
- Primate lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<2> to the east of Cairns
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Primate
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Veteran
- Veteran lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Cairns
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Veteran came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Veteran
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Cairns. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- John McLiam (Actor)
- Actor. He was born in Hayter (Alberta) on Thursday January 24, 1918 and died in Los Angeles (California) on Saturday April 16, 1994 at the age of 76. He is buried at Santa Barbara Cemetery (Santa Barbara County, California).
- Hayter is located 18 miles [29 km] to the east of Cairns.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: John McLiam<5>
How Far From Cairns to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cairns to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<6> community of Cairns once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Cairns and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 148 miles [238.2 km]<2> to the northwest (NW). If you could drive a straight line from Cairns to Edmonton, with an average speed<7>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,635 miles [2,631.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,263 miles [10,079.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,032 miles [11,316.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,087 miles [8,186.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Cairns could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cairns) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cairns. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CairnsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cairns. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.3472, Longitude: -110.5556 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Cairns, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cairns to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.447 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.961 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.431 degrees.||