Our Pages for Anastasia ...
|-profile || General information about Anastasia |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Anastasia |
|-census || Census information for Anastasia |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Anastasia |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Anastasia |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Anastasia |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Anastasia |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Anastasia |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- Area Code Overlay
- An Overlay refers to the situation in which two (or more) area codes (eg- 403, 587) serve the same geographic area. In the case of Anastasia, area code (587) is the Overlay for area code (403).
The Overlay is necessary when the geographic area requires (or expects to need) more phone numbers than can be provided by a single area code.
When an Overlay is present, 10-digit dialing becomes necessary for all calls, even if local. There are different types of Overlays, with each of the different Overlays having its own characteristics and dialing requirements.
If you would like to learn more about Overlays, we suggest the Wikipedia entry for Overlays.
- Canadian Postal Code (FSA & LDU)
- The Canadian Postal Code is a 6-character alpha-numeric code that is used to improve the efficiency and aid the automation of mail sorting and delivery.
The first three characters are called the 'Forward Sortation Area' (or the 'FSA') and indicates a geographical area within Canada. The first and last characters are 'A' through 'Z' and the middle character is always numeric ('0' through '9'). In this case, the FSA for Anastasia is 'T0L'.
The last three characters are called the 'Local Delivery Unit' (or the 'LDU') and they indicate a location or place within the FSA. The first and last characters are always numeric ('0' through '9') and the middle character is always alphabetic ('A' through 'Z').
We only have the FSA for Anastasia and not the LDU.
- A portmanteau is the forming of a linguistic combination or contraction by taking two (or more) words, their sound and the meaning of those words to create a new word. For example, guess and estimate becomes guesstimate. An explanation of Anastasia can be found under Toponymy (see below).
- The definition of toponymy includes the study of place names (in this case, the community of Anastasia). Toponymy includes the origin of the name and any meanings or stories that might be behind the name. While we generally limit ourselves to just the origin of a community's name, we appreciate any additional information.
The toponymy of Anastasia: A Doukhobor<1> Community.
|<1>||The Doukhobors (or Doukhabours) are a Christian sect that were persecuted in the late 1800's by the Russian government and the Russian Orthodox Church. To avoid further persecution, many of the Doukhobors sought refuge in the Canadian Provinces of British Columbia, Saskatchewan and in this case, Alberta.|
Once in Canada, the Doukhobors continued their communal traditions by forming Colonies, with small villages (such as Anastasia) forming within each Colony.
- Return to Citation