Our Genealogy Helper for Cody ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cody (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cody. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the northeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most hospitals were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the north.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the north contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Cody is located in Park County and is the County Seat.
To see how the shape of Wyoming's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Park County: Carbon (MT), Gallatin (MT), Park (MT), Big Horn, Fremont, Hot Springs, Teton & Washakie.
Below are the counties that are near Cody. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Cody:
- Park County (The home county of Cody)
- Ralston [Park County]
- Wapiti [Park County]
- Powell [Park County]
- Clark [Park County]
- Garland [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Garland
- Garland [Park County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Cody
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Garland
- Meeteetse [Park County]
- Big Horn County
- Burlington [Big Horn County]
- Emblem [Big Horn County]
- Byron [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Byron
- Byron [Big Horn County] lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Cody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 592 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Byron
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Byron<2>
- Deaver [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deaver
- Deaver [Big Horn County] lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Cody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 178 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deaver
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Deaver<2>
- Cowley [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cowley
- Cowley [Big Horn County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Cody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 747 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cowley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cowley<2>
- Frannie [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frannie
- Frannie [Big Horn County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Cody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 156 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frannie
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Frannie<2>
- Otto [Big Horn County]
- Lovell [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lovell
- Lovell [Big Horn County] lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Cody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,327 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lovell
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lovell<2>
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Cody, see our County-by-County Page for Cody.
Newspapers Published in the Vicinity of Cody ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 33 newspapers that have been published in the area around Cody.
We have organized these newspapers into two lists:
- A Local Newspaper List - focusing on the papers published in the immediate area of Cody. There are actually two parts to this list - papers printed in the immediate area of Cody and those printed in the larger area surrounding Cody.
- An Extended Newspaper List - a longer list, sorted by paper name and containing those papers published within 39 miles [62.8 km] of Cody.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cody:
- Websites specific to Wyoming
- Pages specific to Park County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Wyoming
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Wyoming
Cemeteries Near Cody ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cody.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cody covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Riverside Cemetery
- Old Trail Town Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old Trail Town Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Old Trail Town Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Trail Town Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #641606<3>
- Trail Creek Ranch Cemetery
- Bull Creek Cemetery
- Crown Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Crown Hill Cemetery
- The Crown Hill Cemetery is located 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the west of Powell.To be more precise, Crown Hill Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km] to the northeast of Cody.
- Crown Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Powell Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crown Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #84012<3>
- Bennett Buttes Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Garland Cemetery
- Meeteetse Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Meeteetse Cemetery
- The Meeteetse Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the southeast of Meeteetse.More accurately, Meeteetse Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the south of Cody.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meeteetse Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1980223<3>
- Penrose Cemetery
- Pitchfork Ranch Cemetery
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<5>
While we didn't find Cody in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Cody.
These communities are listed based on their distance from Cody, with the one closest to Cody listed first.
- Clark [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clark
- Clark [Park County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the north of Cody
- From the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, Clark had a post office and no railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clark
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Clark<2>
- Meeteetse [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meeteetse
- Meeteetse [Park County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the south of Cody
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 56 people
- Population from the 2020 Census: 325 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Meeteetse had a post office and no railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meeteetse
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Meeteetse<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cody. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cody.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Cody ...
While our initial data about Cody came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Cody in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Cody.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
Rand McNally Map of Wyoming (1925)
Published by Rand McNally & Co.
We have found Cody in these Censuses: 2010-1990. See our Census Page for Cody for more information.
Both the GNIS and FIPS databases contain entries for Cody. See our Misc Page for Cody for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Park County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cody. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Park County: www.parkcounty.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cody) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cody. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CodyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cody. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5261, Longitude: -109.0563 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Cody, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|