Welcome to Holden ...
The town of Holden is located in Millard County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Holden has a population of 393 people<2> (see below for details).
Holden was established in 1855.
The town of Holden was previously named Fort Buttermilk. Going back to its beginning, The community of Holden was originally named Cedar Springs. For more information about the names of Holden, see The Names of Holden on our Genealogy Page.
Holden is 5,100 feet [1,554 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Holden is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Holden lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Holden: (435)
The ZIP code for Holden: 84636<4>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Holden had an population of 393 people. This is an increase of 3.97% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 1.75% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Holden had a population of 378 people. This makes Holden the county's 6th most populous community.
The population of Holden represents 0.01% of the population of Utah (which has 2,763,885 people), making it the state's 197th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 378 people, the population of Holden decreased 5.5% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 400 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Holden.
Communities Also Named Holden ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 17 communities that are also named Holden - they are located in Alberta, California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Quebec, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Holden.
Communities near Holden ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Holden.
- Fillmore [Millard County]
- Oak City [Millard County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oak City
- Oak City [Millard County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of Holden
- Estimated population in 2019: 649 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oak City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oak City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oak City<6>
- Scipio [Millard County]
- Meadow [Millard County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meadow
- Meadow [Millard County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Holden
- Estimated population in 2019: 328 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meadow
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- McCornick [Millard County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McCornick
- McCornick [Millard County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Holden
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for McCornick have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- McCornick has also been known as:
- Clarion [Sanpete County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarion
- Clarion [Sanpete County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the east of Holden
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Clarion. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Hatton [Millard County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hatton
- Hatton [Millard County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the southwest of Holden
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hatton have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Hatton:
- Corn Creek
- Lower Corn Creek
- Kanosh Indian Village [Millard County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kanosh Indian Village
- Kanosh Indian Village [Millard County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the south of Holden
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kanosh Indian Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kanosh Indian Village
- Aurora [Sevier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aurora
- Aurora [Sevier County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southeast of Holden
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,052 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aurora
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Aurora<6>
- Dover [Sanpete County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dover
- Dover [Sanpete County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the east of Holden
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Dover. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Holden. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Holden.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Holden. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Holden.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Holden. See our Newspapers Page for Holden.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Holden ...
Looking for more information about Holden? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Holden, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Holden.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Utah
About Millard County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Holden. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Millard, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Holden.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Holden - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a town (such as Holden). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Holden or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Holden) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Holden. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Holden
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Holden. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.1009, Longitude: -112.2711
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|