Welcome to Dover ...
So far, we have found very little information about Dover. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Dover to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Dover, please Contact Us.
Dover would have been located within present day Sanpete County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Dover, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Dover was established in 1877.
Time Zone: The area where Dover was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Dover once stood is in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Dover ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 58 communities that are also named Dover - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa (3), Kansas (2), Kentucky, Maine (2), Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan (3), Minnesota, Mississippi (2), Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Carolina (3), North Dakota, Nova Scotia, Ohio (3), Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Prince Edward Island, South Carolina (2), South Dakota, Tennessee (2), Texas, Vermont, Virginia (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Dover.
Communities near Dover ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Dover.
- Ephraim [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ephraim
- Ephraim [Sanpete County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the northeast of Dover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 7,385 people
- Former names for Ephraim:
- Fort Ephraim
- Pine Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ephraim
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ephraim<5>
- Manti [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Manti
- Manti [Sanpete County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the east of Dover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,790 people
- Former name for Manti:
- Manti has also been known as:
- Manti City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Manti
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Manti<5>
- Gunnison [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gunnison
- Gunnison [Sanpete County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the southeast of Dover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,675 people
- Former name for Gunnison:
- Hog Wallow
- Gunnison has also been known as:
- Gunnison City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gunnison
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gunnison<5>
- Salina [Sevier County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Centerfield [Sanpete County]
- Aurora [Sevier County]
- Redmond [Sevier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redmond
- Redmond [Sevier County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the south of Dover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 758 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Redmond have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redmond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Redmond<5>
- Mayfield [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mayfield
- Mayfield [Sanpete County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Dover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 564 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mayfield have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Mayfield:
- Frog Hollow
- New London
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayfield
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mayfield<5>
- Scipio [Millard County]
- Sterling [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sterling
- Sterling [Sanpete County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of Dover
- Population from the 2020 Census: 326 people
- Former names for Sterling:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sterling
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sterling<5>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Dover. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Dover.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Dover. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Dover.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Dover. See our Newspapers Page for Dover.
Adding Dover to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Dover was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Dover on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Utah
About Sanpete County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Dover, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Sanpete, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dover) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Dover. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DoverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dover. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.2070, Longitude: -111.8954 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|