Welcome to Gunnison (aka 'Gunnison City') ...
The city of Gunnison is located in Sanpete County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Gunnison has a population of 3,596 people<2> (see below for details).
Gunnison was established in 1859.
In the past, Gunnison was named Hog Wallow
The community of Gunnison is 5,160 feet [1,573 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Gunnison is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Gunnison lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Gunnison is within the boundaries of the (435) area code.
The ZIP code for Gunnison: 84634<4>
Websites for Gunnison ...
Official Website: www.gunnisoncity.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Gunnison had an population of 3,596 people. This is an increase of 9.47% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 50.21% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Gunnison had a population of 3,285 people (or 11.81% of the total population of Sanpete County). This makes Gunnison the county's 2nd most populous community.
The population of Gunnison represents 0.12% of the total population of Utah (which has 2,763,885 people), making it the state's 95th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 3,285 people, the population of Gunnison increased 37.22% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 2,394 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Gunnison.
Communities Also Named Gunnison ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Gunnison - they are located in Colorado and Mississippi.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Gunnison.
Communities near Gunnison ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Gunnison.
- Ephraim [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ephraim
- Ephraim [Sanpete County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the northeast of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 7,385 people
- Former names for Ephraim:
- Fort Ephraim
- Pine Creek
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ephraim
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ephraim<6>
- Manti [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Manti
- Manti [Sanpete County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3,790 people
- Former name for Manti:
- Manti has also been known as:
- Manti City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Manti
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Manti<6>
- Salina [Sevier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salina
- Salina [Sevier County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the south of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,648 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salina
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Salina<6>
- Aurora [Sevier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aurora
- Aurora [Sevier County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the south of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,061 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aurora
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Aurora<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Redmond [Sevier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Redmond
- Redmond [Sevier County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the south of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 758 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Redmond have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Redmond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Redmond<6>
- Mayfield [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mayfield
- Mayfield [Sanpete County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the east of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 564 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mayfield have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for Mayfield:
- Frog Hollow
- New London
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayfield
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mayfield<6>
- Scipio [Millard County]
- Sterling [Sanpete County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sterling
- Sterling [Sanpete County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the east of Gunnison
- Population from the 2020 Census: 326 people
- Former names for Sterling:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sterling
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sterling<6>
- Fayette [Sanpete County]
- Clarion [Sanpete County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clarion
- Clarion [Sanpete County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Gunnison
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Clarion. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Gunnison. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Gunnison.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Gunnison. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Gunnison.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Gunnison. See our Newspapers Page for Gunnison.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Gunnison ...
Looking for more information about Gunnison? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Gunnison, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Gunnison.
Adding Gunnison to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Gunnison in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Gunnison was on a map (with an unknown title) dated 1890.
We also found Gunnison in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Gunnison on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Utah
About Sanpete County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Gunnison: www.gunnisoncity.org/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Sanpete, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Gunnison.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Gunnison - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Gunnison). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Gunnison or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Gunnison) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Gunnison. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from GunnisonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Gunnison. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.1553, Longitude: -111.8184 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|