Welcome to Antone ...
So far, we have found very little information about Antone. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Antone to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Antone, please Contact Us.
Antone would have been located within present day Wheeler County<2>.
The location of Antone has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Antone is 3,450 feet [1,052 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Antone is about ¾ mile [or ~1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Antone was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Antone still existed, it would have been in the (541) and (458)<5> area codes.
Communities Also Named Antone ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Antone - it's located in Kansas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Antone.
Communities near Antone ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Antone.
- Dayville [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dayville
- Dayville [Grant County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the east of Antone
- Estimated population in 2019: 146 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dayville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dayville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Dayville<7>
- Mitchell [Wheeler County]
- Richmond [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond [Wheeler County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the northwest of Antone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richmond
- Waldron [Wheeler County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waldron
- Waldron [Wheeler County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the northwest of Antone
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Kimberly [Grant County]
- Paulina [Crook County]
- Spray [Wheeler County]
- Scissorsville [Crook County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scissorsville
- Scissorsville [Crook County] was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<6> to the west of Antone
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Scissorsville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Hamilton [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hamilton
- Hamilton [Grant County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<6> to the northeast of Antone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hamilton
- Monument [Grant County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Antone. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Antone.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Antone. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Antone.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Antone. See our Newspapers Page for Antone.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Oregon
About Wheeler County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Antone, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Wheeler, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Antone - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Antone) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Antone. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.4715, Longitude: -119.8100 In this case, the coordinates for Antone have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|