Communities Also Named Smiths Cove ...
We have found one communities that share the name Smiths Cove.
Within Nova Scotia, the name Smiths Cove is unique.
Beyond Nova Scotia, there is another community also named Smiths Cove in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- King County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Washington community of Smiths Cove [King County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Smiths Cove ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bear River
- Cornwallis Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cornwallis Park
- Cornwallis Park lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the north of Smiths Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cornwallis Park came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cornwallis Park
- Deep Brook
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deep Brook
- Deep Brook lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the north of Smiths Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Deep Brook came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deep Brook
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenland
- Greenland lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Smiths Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenland came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenland
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Guinea
- Guinea lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northeast of Smiths Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Guinea came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Guinea
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillgrove
- Hillgrove lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the west of Smiths Cove
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillgrove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jordantown
- Jordantown lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the west of Smiths Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jordantown came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jordantown
- Lighthouse Road
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lighthouse Road
- Lighthouse Road lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Smiths Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lighthouse Road came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lighthouse Road
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marshalltown
- Marshalltown lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the west of Smiths Cove
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marshalltown
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Smiths Cove. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Rose Fortune (Businesswomand, police officer)
- Businesswomand, police officer. She was born in Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) on Sunday March 13, 1774 and died in Annapolis Royal (Nova Scotia) on Saturday February 20, 1864 at the age of 89. She is buried at Garrison Graveyard (Annapolis County, Nova Scotia).
- Annapolis Royal is located 14 miles [22.5 km] to the northeast of Smiths Cove.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Rose Fortune<5>
How Far From Smiths Cove to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Smiths Cove to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Smiths Cove and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 493 miles [793.4 km]<2> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Smiths Cove to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 28 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 20 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,194 miles [8,358.9 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 5,900 miles [9,495.1 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 3,777 miles [6,078.5 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Smiths Cove. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Smiths Cove could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Smiths Cove) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Smiths Cove. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Smiths Cove
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Smiths Cove. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5535, Longitude: -65.6539
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Smiths Cove to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 300.307 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 295.846 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 296.826 degrees.||