Curious and Interesting Names Near Capstick ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cape Smokey
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cape Smokey
- Cape Smokey lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the south of Capstick
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cape Smokey came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cape Smokey
- Keltic Lodge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keltic Lodge
- Keltic Lodge lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Capstick
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Keltic Lodge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Keltic Lodge
- Meat Cove
- Pleasant Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pleasant Bay
- Pleasant Bay lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Capstick
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pleasant Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pleasant Bay
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Pleasant Bay<3>
- Sugar Loaf
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sugar Loaf
- Sugar Loaf lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the southeast of Capstick
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sugar Loaf came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sugar Loaf
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunrise
- Sunrise lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the south of Capstick
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunrise came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunrise
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Capstick. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Winston 'Scotty' Fitzgerald (Musician)
- Musician. He was born in White Point (Nova Scotia) on Monday February 16, 1914 and died in Sydney (Nova Scotia) on Wednesday September 2, 1987 at the age of 73.
- White Point is located 11 miles [17.7 km] to the southeast of Capstick.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Winston 'Scotty' Fitzgerald<4>
How Far From Capstick to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Capstick to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Capstick and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 732 miles [1,178 km]<1> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Capstick to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 42 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 29 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 4,896 miles [7,879.3 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 5,606 miles [9,022 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 3,481 miles [5,602.1 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Capstick. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Capstick) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Capstick. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Capstick
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Capstick. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.0000, Longitude: -60.5167
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Capstick to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 296.487 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 292.071 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 292.588 degrees.|