We have been working on our Gazetteer for a long time and while we have collected a lot of information, there is much yet to be done. Keep in mind that whenever we find the mention of a community, we simply add it to our list so that we can go back and do further research. While this has proven a good way of finding communities, it has created many more questions than answers. If you can, we would appreciate your help in answering these accumulating questions.
For whatever it's worth, we have been asked many times why don't we just look-up the information ourselves (like from Wikipedia). Our list contains over 160,000 communities and in fact, we spend most of the day doing those searches. At a guess, we figure that it will take nearly a decade to go through the list just once. As you can imagine, any additional help is really appreciated.
Given its bulk, our data obviously contains scattered errors. The majority of the errors come from reference documents that should have been definitive. Some occur while entering our findings and others result from our methodologies. The problem is identifying the errors. As you read through our pages about Aitkin and find errors, please let us know - we are working to be as accurate as we can.
The last point that we want to make is that we do our updates in blocks and with over 160,000 communities in our Gazetteer, it can be months between updates. We just wanted to warn you that if you sent us a note today, it may be days, months or even longer before the correction actually appears on our Gazetteer. While this seems to be a long time, please remember that it's just my wife and myself doing the work.
Our Wishlist For Aitkin ...
In the case of Aitkin, we are searching for the following information.
- How do the people of Aitkin refer to themselves (also known as a Denomyn)?<1> For example, a person from Minnesota is called a Minnesotan. In the same way, how would a resident of Aitkin be called?
- What is the story behind the name of Aitkin (also known as a Toponym)?
- Are there alternate names for Aitkin, variations in the spelling, etc?
- Are there nicknames, slogans or sobriquets for Aitkin? For example, Aitkin might declare itself to be The Happiest Place in Aitkin County.
- Do we have the correct time zone for Aitkin?
- Is there a Chamber of Commerce website for Aitkin?
- We are looking for descriptions from old books (1800s thru early 1900s), such as Gazetteers and Shipping Guides, that describe Aitkin. If you have such a description, please send it to us with the name and year of the book that it came from. If available, please include the author and publisher of the book.
- We've created a list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Aitkin. Have we missed any? The list can be found on our page for Communities Neighboring Aitkin in the 1890's.
- Are there cemeteries in the area? Whether they are large or small, famous or forgotten, we would appreciate it if you would send us their name and GPS coordinates (the latitude/longitude). Even if you don't know the name of a cemetery, please send its coordinates - somebody, someplace, may know its name.
If you're interested, we have a list of nearby cemeteries which are relatively close to Aitkin and you can find this list on our Cemetery List for Aitkin.
In closing, thank you for any help you can provide. While it might take time for everything to appear on our website, it will make it eventually.