So far, we have found very little information about Aral. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Aral to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Aral, please Contact Us.
- About Aral
- Aral<2> is historic and would have been located within present day Benzie County (Michigan).
Our Pages for Aral (aka 'Otter Creek') ...
|-profile || General information about Aral |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Aral |
|-bycounty || Nearest communities to Aral (By-County) |
|-census || Census information for Aral |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Aral |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Aral |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Aral |
|-localpapers || Newspapers published in the immediate area of Aral |
|-newspapers || Newspapers published in a broader area around Aral |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Aral |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-misc || Miscellaneous information |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Aral |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Aral has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '1951744'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Aral.
- Historic Community
- We use the term 'historic' broadly and in our Gazetteer, it generally means that the community no longer exists. That said, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past.
If we can be more specific, then you'll see either:
- 'Ghost Town' to indicate that while some ruins are in the vicinity of where the community once stood, the community no longer exists. Being a Ghost Town does not mean that people no longer live or conduct business in the area. When visiting a Ghost Town, please be sure to respect private property.
- 'Shadow Town' to indicate that the community was much larger in the past and while some people may continue to live there, the community is a shadow of its past.
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Aral, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
- Return to Citation
|<2>||Aral is also known as Otter Creek. For more information, please visit our Genealogy Helper Page for Aral.|
- Return to Citation