Welcome to Decatur ...
The city of Decatur is located in DeKalb County<1> and is the County Seat for DeKalb County.
When the people of Decatur refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Decaturian<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Decatur has a population of 25,712 people<3> (see below for details).
We don't have a date for the establishment of Decatur.
Decatur is 1,000 feet [305 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Decatur lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Area Codes for Decatur: (470)<5>, (678) and (770)
The ZIP codes for Decatur: 30030-30037<6>
Websites for Decatur ...
Official Website: www.decatur-ga.com/
Junior League: www.jldekalb.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Decatur had an population of 25,712 people. This is an increase of 32.98% since the 2010 Census.
At the time of the 2010 Census, Decatur had a population of 19,335 people. This makes Decatur the county's 2nd most populous community.
The population of Decatur represents 0.2% of the total population of Georgia (which has 9,687,653 people), making it the state's 38th most populous community.
More information can be found on the Census Page for Decatur.
Adding Decatur to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Decatur in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Decatur was
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Decatur on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Decatur ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 20 communities that are also named Decatur - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Decatur.
Communities near Decatur ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Decatur.
- Roswell [Fulton County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roswell
- Roswell [Fulton County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<7> to the north of Decatur
- Population from the 2020 Census: 95,434 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roswell
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Roswell<8>
- Johns Creek [Fulton County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Johns Creek
- Johns Creek [Fulton County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<7> to the north of Decatur
- Population from the 2020 Census: 85,192 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Johns Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Johns Creek
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Johns Creek<8>
- Marietta [Cobb County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marietta
- Marietta [Cobb County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<7> to the northwest of Decatur
- Population from the 2020 Census: 60,786 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marietta
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marietta<8>
- Smyrna [Cobb County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Smyrna
- Smyrna [Cobb County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<7> to the northwest of Decatur
- Population from the 2020 Census: 56,443 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Smyrna
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Smyrna<8>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Brookhaven [DeKalb County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brookhaven
- Brookhaven [DeKalb County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<7> to the north of Decatur
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brookhaven
- Stonecrest [DeKalb County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stonecrest
- Stonecrest [DeKalb County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<7> to the southeast of Decatur
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stonecrest
- Dunwoody West [DeKalb County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunwoody West
- Dunwoody West [DeKalb County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<7> to the north of Decatur
- Estimated population in 2015: 48,733 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dunwoody West have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunwoody West
- Peachtree Corners [Gwinnett County]
- Milstead [Rockdale County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Milstead
- Milstead [Rockdale County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<7> to the east of Decatur
- Estimated population in 2018: 39,217 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Milstead have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Milstead
- Tucker [DeKalb County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tucker
- Tucker [DeKalb County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<7> to the northeast of Decatur
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tucker have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tucker
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tucker<8>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Decatur. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Decatur.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Decatur. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Decatur.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Decatur. Our list includes 15 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Decatur.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Decatur ...
Looking for more information about Decatur? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Decatur, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Decatur.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Georgia
About DeKalb County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Decatur: www.decatur-ga.com/
The official website for DeKalb County: www.co.dekalb.ga.us/
The official website for State of Georgia: https://georgia.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Georgia's counties, including DeKalb, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Decatur refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Decatur may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Decatur.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Decatur - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Of the area codes for Decatur, area code (470, 678) is an overlay.|
|<6>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Decatur). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Decatur or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
Our list of ZIP Codes for Decatur includes: 30030, 30031, 30032, 30033, 30034, 30035, 30036 & 30037.
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Decatur) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Decatur. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DecaturOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Decatur. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.7748, Longitude: -84.2966 |
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<9>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|