So far, we have found very little information about Grapeland. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Grapeland to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Grapeland, please Contact Us.
- About Grapeland
- Grapeland is historic and would have been located within present day San Bernardino County (California).
Our Pages for Grapeland ...
|-profile || General information about Grapeland |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Grapeland |
|-bycounty || Nearest communities to Grapeland (By-County) |
|-census || Census information for Grapeland |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Grapeland |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Grapeland |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Grapeland |
|-localpapers || Newspapers published in the immediate area of Grapeland |
|-newspapers || Newspapers published in a broader area around Grapeland |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Grapeland |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-misc || Miscellaneous information |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Grapeland |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a community like Grapeland). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the community of Grapeland:
- State Code: 06 (California)
- State / County Code: 06 / 071 (San Bernardino County)
- State / Place Code: 06 / 30770
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Grapeland.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Grapeland has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '1701197'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Grapeland.
- Historic Community
- We use the term 'historic' broadly and in our Gazetteer, it generally means that the community no longer exists. That said, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past.
If we can be more specific, then you'll see either:
- 'Ghost Town' to indicate that while some ruins are in the vicinity of where the community once stood, the community no longer exists. Being a Ghost Town does not mean that people no longer live or conduct business in the area. When visiting a Ghost Town, please be sure to respect private property.
- 'Shadow Town' to indicate that the community was much larger in the past and while some people may continue to live there, the community is a shadow of its past.
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Grapeland, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
- Return to Citation