Our Genealogy Helper for Kinter ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Kinter (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Kinter. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors and hospitals were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Kinter is located in Yuma County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Yuma County: La Paz, Maricopa, Pima & Imperial (CA).
Below are the counties that are near Kinter. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Kinter:
- Yuma County (The home county of Kinter)
- Dome [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dome
- Dome [Yuma County] was located 2 miles [3.2 km]<1> to the east of Kinter
- Former name for Dome:
- Swiveler's Station
- Fort Laguna [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Laguna
- Fort Laguna [Yuma County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the north of Kinter
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Fort Laguna. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Fortuna Foothills [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fortuna Foothills
- Fortuna Foothills [Yuma County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the south of Kinter
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fortuna Foothills have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fortuna Foothills
- Ligurta [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ligurta
- Ligurta [Yuma County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Kinter
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ligurta
- Yuma [Yuma County]
- Wellton [Yuma County]
- Castle Dome Landing [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Dome Landing
- Castle Dome Landing [Yuma County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Kinter
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Dome Landing
- Fishers Landing [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fishers Landing
- Fishers Landing [Yuma County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Kinter
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishers Landing
- Martinez Lake [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Martinez Lake
- Martinez Lake [Yuma County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Kinter
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Martinez Lake
- Steam [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Steam
- Steam [Yuma County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the west of Kinter
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Steam
- Somerton [Yuma County]
- Roll [Yuma County]
- Imperial County (CA)
- Bard [Imperial County]
- Winterhaven [Imperial County]
- Felicity [Imperial County]
- Picacho [Imperial County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Picacho
- Picacho [Imperial County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Kinter
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Picacho have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Picacho
- Tumco [Imperial County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tumco
- Tumco [Imperial County] was located 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the west of Kinter
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Tumco. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Former name for Tumco:
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Kinter, see our County-by-County Page for Kinter.
Newspapers Published in Kinter ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 45 newspapers that have been published in the area around Kinter.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Kinter, there are papers which were published within 26 miles [41.8 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Kinter.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Kinter:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Yuma County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
- Stories from California
Cemeteries Near Kinter ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Kinter.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Kinter covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Dome Cemetery
- Laguna Pioneer Cemetery
- Sunset Vista Cemetery
- Potholes Cemetery
- Quechan Indian Cemetery
- Yuma Territorial Prison Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Yuma Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Yuma Pioneer Cemetery
- Yuma Pioneer Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Kinter.
- Yuma Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Yuma City Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yuma Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #57144<5>
- Desert Lawn Memorial Park
- Martinez Lake Cemetery
- Wellton Memorial Cemetery
- East Cocopah Indian Reservation Cemetery
- Picacho Mine Cemetery
- Picacho Cemetery
- West Cocopah Indian Reservation Cemetery
- Hedges Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hedges Cemetery
- Hedges Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the west of Kinter.
- Hedges Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hedges Protestant Cemetery
- Tumco Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hedges Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #8019<5>
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<6>
While we didn't find Kinter in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Kinter.
These communities are listed based on their distance from Kinter, with the one closest to Kinter listed first.
- Araby [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Araby
- Araby [Yuma County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Kinter
- From the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, Araby had railroad service and no post office
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Araby have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Araby
- Yuma [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yuma
- Yuma [Yuma County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Kinter
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 1,773 people
- Estimated population in 2019: 98,285 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Yuma had a post office and railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yuma
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Yuma<4>
- Tacna [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tacna
- Tacna [Yuma County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the east of Kinter
- From the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, Tacna had railroad service and no post office
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tacna
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tacna<4>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Kinter. See our List of 1890's Communities around Kinter.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Arizona
About Yuma County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kinter. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Yuma County: www.co.yuma.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kinter) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kinter. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.7573, Longitude: -114.3980 In this case, the coordinates for Kinter have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Kinter, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|