Welcome to Harqua ...
So far, we have found very little information about Harqua. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Harqua to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Harqua, please Contact Us.
Harqua would have been located within present day Maricopa County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Harqua, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Harqua is 1,080 feet [329 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Harqua was located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
Communities near Harqua ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Harqua.
- Arlington [Maricopa County]
- Wintersburg [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wintersburg
- Wintersburg [Maricopa County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Harqua
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wintersburg
- Tonopah [Maricopa County]
- Palo Verde [Maricopa County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Tartesso [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tartesso
- Tartesso [Maricopa County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the northeast of Harqua
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tartesso
- Theba [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Theba
- Theba [Maricopa County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the south of Harqua
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Theba
- Buckeye [Maricopa County]
- Gila Bend [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gila Bend
- Gila Bend [Maricopa County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the southeast of Harqua
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,100 people
- Former name for Gila Bend:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gila Bend
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gila Bend<6>
- Hyder [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hyder
- Hyder [Yuma County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the southwest of Harqua
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hyder have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- San Lucy Village [Maricopa County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for San Lucy Village
- San Lucy Village [Maricopa County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the southeast of Harqua
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for San Lucy Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on San Lucy Village
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Harqua. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Harqua.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Harqua. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Harqua.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Harqua. See our Newspapers Page for Harqua.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Arizona
About Maricopa County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Maricopa County: www.maricopa.gov/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Harqua, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Maricopa, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Harqua - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Harqua) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Harqua. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Harqua
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Harqua. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 33.2441, Longitude: -112.9987 In this case, the coordinates for Harqua have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|