Our Genealogy Helper for Fortuna ...
So far, we have found very little information about Fortuna. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Fortuna to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Fortuna, please Contact Us.
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Fortuna (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Fortuna. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the northwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors and hospitals were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the north.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the north contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Although our information shows that the community of Fortuna is historic, it would have been located within present day Yuma County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Yuma County: La Paz, Maricopa, Pima & Imperial (CA).
Below are the counties that are near Fortuna. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Fortuna:
- Yuma County (The home county of Fortuna)
- Fortuna Foothills [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fortuna Foothills
- Fortuna Foothills [Yuma County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Fortuna
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fortuna Foothills have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fortuna Foothills
- Dome [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dome
- Dome [Yuma County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Fortuna
- Former name for Dome:
- Swiveler's Station
- Ligurta [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ligurta
- Ligurta [Yuma County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the east of Fortuna
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ligurta
- Yuma [Yuma County]
- Fort Laguna [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Laguna
- Fort Laguna [Yuma County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the north of Fortuna
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Fort Laguna. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Somerton [Yuma County]
- Wellton [Yuma County]
- Castle Dome Landing [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Dome Landing
- Castle Dome Landing [Yuma County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the north of Fortuna
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Castle Dome Landing
- Fishers Landing [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fishers Landing
- Fishers Landing [Yuma County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the north of Fortuna
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishers Landing
- Martinez Lake [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Martinez Lake
- Martinez Lake [Yuma County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the north of Fortuna
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Martinez Lake
- Gadsden [Yuma County]
- San Luis [Yuma County]
- Roll [Yuma County]
- Imperial County (CA)
- Bard [Imperial County]
- Winterhaven [Imperial County]
- Felicity [Imperial County]
- Tumco [Imperial County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tumco
- Tumco [Imperial County] was located 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Fortuna
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Tumco. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Former name for Tumco:
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Fortuna, see our County-by-County Page for Fortuna.
Newspapers Published in Fortuna ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 46 newspapers that have been published in the area around Fortuna.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Fortuna, there are papers which were published within 21 miles [33.8 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Fortuna.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Fortuna:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Yuma County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
- Stories from California
Cemeteries Near Fortuna ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Fortuna.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Fortuna covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Sunset Vista Cemetery
- Dome Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Dome Cemetery
- Dome Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Fortuna.
- Dome Cemetery has also been known as:
- Gila City Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dome Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2428129<6>
- Laguna Pioneer Cemetery
- Potholes Cemetery
- Quechan Indian Cemetery
- Yuma Territorial Prison Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Yuma Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Yuma Pioneer Cemetery
- Yuma Pioneer Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the west of Fortuna.
- Yuma Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Yuma City Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yuma Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #57144<6>
- Desert Lawn Memorial Park
- East Cocopah Indian Reservation Cemetery
- West Cocopah Indian Reservation Cemetery
- Wellton Memorial Cemetery
- Martinez Lake Cemetery
- Picacho Mine Cemetery
- Picacho Cemetery
- Hedges Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hedges Cemetery
- Hedges Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northwest of Fortuna.
- Hedges Cemetery has also been known as:
- Hedges Protestant Cemetery
- Tumco Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hedges Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #8019<6>
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.
While we didn't find Fortuna in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Fortuna.
These communities are listed based on their distance from Fortuna, with the one closest to Fortuna listed first.
- Araby [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Araby
- Araby [Yuma County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the west of Fortuna
- From the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, Araby had railroad service and no post office
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Araby have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Araby
- Yuma [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yuma
- Yuma [Yuma County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the west of Fortuna
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 1,773 people
- Estimated population in 2019: 98,285 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Yuma had a post office and railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yuma
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Yuma<4>
- Tacna [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tacna
- Tacna [Yuma County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the east of Fortuna
- From the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, Tacna had railroad service and no post office
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tacna
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tacna<4>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Fortuna. See our List of 1890's Communities around Fortuna.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Arizona
About Yuma County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Yuma County: www.co.yuma.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Fortuna, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fortuna) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fortuna. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.6906, Longitude: -114.4530 In this case, the coordinates for Fortuna have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|