Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Fortuna Foothills, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Fortuna Foothills and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Fortuna Foothills:
- 32.657826, -114.411890
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Fortuna Foothills
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Fortuna Foothills ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bard [Imperial County]
- Dome [Yuma County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dome
- Dome [Yuma County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the northeast of Fortuna Foothills
- Former name for Dome:
- Swiveler's Station
- Dunes [Imperial County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunes
- Dunes [Imperial County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the west of Fortuna Foothills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dunes have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunes
- Felicity [Imperial County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fishers Landing [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fishers Landing
- Fishers Landing [Yuma County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the north of Fortuna Foothills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fishers Landing
- Kool Corner [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kool Corner
- Kool Corner [Yuma County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Fortuna Foothills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kool Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kool Corner
- Martinez Lake [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Martinez Lake
- Martinez Lake [Yuma County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the north of Fortuna Foothills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Martinez Lake
- Noah [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Noah
- Noah [Yuma County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the east of Fortuna Foothills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Noah have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Noah
- Steam [Yuma County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Steam
- Steam [Yuma County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the west of Fortuna Foothills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Steam have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Steam
- Winterhaven [Imperial County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Fortuna Foothills. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Marvel Crosson (Aviation pioneer)
- Aviation pioneer. She was born in Warsaw (Indiana) on Friday April 27, 1900 and died in Wellton (Arizona) on Monday August 19, 1929 at the age of 29. She is buried at Greenwood Memorial Park (San Diego County, California).
- Wellton is located 15 miles [24.1 km] to the east of Fortuna Foothills.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Marvel Crosson<4>
- Mark Hopkins (Railroad tycoon, industrialist)
- Railroad tycoon, industrialist. He was born in Henderson (New York) on Wednesday September 1, 1813 and died in Yuma (Arizona) on Friday March 29, 1878 at the age of 64. He is buried at Sacramento City Cemetery (Sacramento County, California).
- Yuma is located 12 miles [19.3 km] to the west of Fortuna Foothills.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Mark Hopkins<4>
How Far From Fortuna Foothills to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Fortuna Foothills to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Fortuna Foothills and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Yuma, which is the Seat of Yuma County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the west northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Fortuna Foothills to Yuma, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 146 miles [235 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 6 days and walking would take 9 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,122 miles [3,415 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 5 days, a buggy would take 83 days and walking would take 121 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,559 miles [12,165 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,326 miles [13,399.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,275 miles [10,098.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Arizona Community
About Yuma County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Fortuna Foothills. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Yuma County: www.co.yuma.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fortuna Foothills) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fortuna Foothills. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fortuna Foothills
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fortuna Foothills. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.6578, Longitude: -114.4119 In this case, the coordinates for Fortuna Foothills have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Fortuna Foothills to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.894 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.968 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.449 degrees.||